Turning Fondant Into Gumpaste?

Decorating By Cupcations Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm by Cupcations

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 12

A couple of months ago & i opened a box of Wilton fondant for a cake I was making I didn't use the whole thing, I doubled bagged it & up till now its still in my cupboard..
my question is it still ok/edible??
if so can I turn it into gum paste by adding Tylose powder??

How does the process go & what are the proportions??
TIA

11 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 12

Just add Tylose. The amount will vary based on the humidity in your area. Start sprinkling and kneading and when it no longer feels sticky and is somewhat elastic you're good to go! It's best to add the Tylose the day before you intend to use the gum paste...just "re-activate" with a bit of shortening as you use each piece.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 12

I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. I've done the Tylose thing and honestly I don't like it. Yes, it hardens it, but it's just not the same as pre-made gum paste. I worked at a bakery where they added Tylose to fondant to make flowers and such, but it wasn't until I left and starting decorating on my own that I discovered gum paste and how wonderfully thin I could get it without it cracking or breaking. My favorite is the Wilton pre-made stuff and I get it at Michaels with the 40% off coupon. If you're looking to make items that need to be thin, and dry fast and really hard then stick with real gum paste if you can. IMO! icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 12

Tylose and fondant is good in a pinch when you need to make something and have it dry hard and don't have any gumpaste. It's about 2tsp per pound of fondan but I've added more when I've wanted it to dry faster. The head and footboards on my Toy Story cake were made from fondant and tylose and dried pretty quick.

But, as a PP said, I prefer gumpaste whenever I can. I used to use the Wilton gumpaste but I don't really like it and their packaging is stupid. I love the Satin Ice gumpaste.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 12

Or mix gum tragacanth into fondant at about 1stp:500g. That works well. Just wrap it up well and let it rest for a couple hours before using.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 12

I found that mixing Tylose/CMC with fondant was not a very good substitute for making flowers etc. as it drys too brittle and breaks, the readymade stuff that you can buy is much better, but it can be used as modelling paste for making small figures etc. HTH icon_wink.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 12

As the other posters have said, adding tylose, CMC or the like to fondant doesn't make it into gumpaste, it makes it into modeling paste, great for figures and a bunch of other things ( like swags, bows....). Another way to make modeling paste ( also called 50/50), is mixing half fondant and half gumpaste, that's the old school way before we had the tylose/CMC options. Gumpaste is a different product and can be rolled so much thinner for flowers. So it really depends on what you want to do use it for.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

As the other posters have said, adding tylose, CMC or the like to fondant doesn't make it into gumpaste, it makes it into modeling paste, great for figures and a bunch of other things ( like swags, bows....). Another way to make modeling paste ( also called 50/50), is mixing half fondant and half gumpaste, that's the old school way before we had the tylose/CMC options. Gumpaste is a different product and can be rolled so much thinner for flowers. So it really depends on what you want to do use it for.

I have a question if I may? Can MMF be used as a 50/50 will it work the same way?

Cupcations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you for all the replies you guys ROCK!! I always find my nswers here thanks again thumbs_up.gif

just one tiny question, is my 2-month old fondant still good or should I throw is away?

TIA

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 12

If it's not hard and dried out, use it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

Thank you for all the replies you guys ROCK!! I always find my nswers here thanks again thumbs_up.gif

just one tiny question, is my 2-month old fondant still good or should I throw is away?

TIA

Guess we got on the Tylose thing and missed your original question! Yes use it! As long as it isn't dried up it's good to go. I save all my leftover colored fondant to use in other things.

Cupcations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 12

lol no worries
see that's it...you get different answers regarding one thing.. I've heard a couple of times that fondant doesn't last more than 2 weeks even the box itself says "save up to 2 weeks" & then comes CC & its a different world, I love you guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%