Filing A Cupcake With Carmel Sauce

Baking By cricket0616 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 12:36am by icer101

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

My son has asked me to make a chocolate cupcake with carmel filing and I have never filled a cupcake before. My question is has anyone tried to fill a cupcake with carmel sauce? Can I use the carmel sauce by smuckers, the one you use to put over icecream? Will it make the cupcakes soggy and how long with they last? He wants to bring them to school and I would have to make them the night before.

6 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 7

I tried once with a Bismark tip.... so the only advice I have is not to use one of those! The caramel is too thick. I would use an apple corer to 'core' a bit of the cupcake then put the caramel in.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

I use the canned "dulce de leche" for my caramel filling. For cakes, I either use it straight up or blend it with BC.

For cupcakes, I think I would blend it with the BC so you could pipe it with a Bismark tip.

If you want to use it straight, I would carve out the middle with an apple corer.

HTH
Kristy

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

I wonder if you would get the same effect if you put a caramel hershey kiss or a Rolo or a piece of a caramilk chocolate bar in the middle of the cupcake before baking. Hmmm...might have to try that one. icon_smile.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

Does the cupcake get mushy from the caramel?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

I've never used the caramel ice cream topping stuff so I don't know about that.

The dulce de leche is fairly thick/sticky--sort of a peanut butter consistency. Used as filling, it doesn't make the cake mushy at all.

Mixed with BC, it acts like a frosting so again, not mushy.

If the color of your frosting is not important and you want to skip filling the cupcakes, you could just make the frosting a caramel frosting and get the same flavor combo.

Kristy

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

pmarkso, your suggestion is great. can,t wait to try that also. I also make jodief caramel sauce (recipe on this site) it is delicious. all my family love it. I mix it in with my smbc also. goodness!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%