Fondant Straws

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm by cakeyouverymuch

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make a cake this Saturday that will have curling straws inserted into the top of the cake. I made the straws last night. Fondant with Tylose added and wrapped around dowels. My question is how do I insert them without them breaking and will they transport well? My friend will pick up the cake Saturday and will have to drive the cake about 25 minutes away. I was thinking that it would be better for my friend to insert the straws once she reaches her destination, but she is worried that she will not do it correctly. Any suggestiions???

3 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 4

Any suggestions??

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 4

I think I've seen them (fondant curling ribbons) on cakes either just piled up on top and some of them standing, but resting on the ones that are piled up, or together with a bow just using the bow for support.

Is your cake covered in fondant or buttercream?

I would say make a lot of them, regardless, just in case they break.

Maybe the title of your thread is not the best way to describe them.

I hope you get more help. Another way I would do some of them would be to make one of the ends thicker and insert a wire that I would then insert in a coffee stirrer, to insert into the cake. Only for the ones that would be standing since I wouldn't want too many stirrers in my cake.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 4

Use similarly sized dowels to make holes in the cake where the straws are to be inserted. If the customer is going to insert the straws herself, leave them on the dowels for transport. She can then slide them off the dowels at her destination and insert them in the pre-made holes. If the straws move freely on the dowels it should be possible for her to slide the straws into the pre-made holes while still on the dowel and then just slide the dowels out after the straws are in place. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%