Cake For Friends' Birthdays And Their Pregnancy Announcement

Decorating By Jennifer353 Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm by rara1975

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 3

I'm hoping someone can help me come up with some ideas. I'm going to visit my friends in a few weeks who are married. The guy's birthday was a couple of weeks ago, the girl's a couple of weeks after I visit (I didn't/wont get to see them closer to the birthdays) and they have just announced that she is pregnant. I often make cake/cupcakes when I visit them and would love to somehow incorporate all three things into the decorations on a cake. It doesn't need to be a huge cake because it doesnt need to feed many. I'm also an amature decorator. She is lactose intollerent and can't have much fat so buttercream even with shortening is out for decorating. Things like fondant that she can peel off is fine. I'll also be carrying the cake/cupcakes on a train for a few hours.

I guess my question is any ideas on if it is possible to make a cake that looks at least ok with all this going on on it? As I type I think the description is sounding more and more like one of those nightmare cakes people on here have been asked to do and are trying to make look decent! icon_lol.gif Maybe cupcakes could work?!
If it wont work with the birthdays on it I would love to do it for the baby announcement. Because it is so early I dont think most of the baby shower themes would work, does anyone have any idea what I could do for early pregnancy?

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 3

I think you'll be fine to use a buttercream as there is very little milk in it and you could do a thin coat under fondant (since she can eat that - or not if she chooses).. You could do a cake that says "Happy birthday" and "Congratulations". or "Happy birthday <their names> and baby to be" .
You could use pink (for her) and blue (for him) since you are celebrating both their b-days. And both colors symbolize baby to be, as you don't know what sex the baby will be.
The cake could be polk-a- dots or something simple and unisex , incorporating those colors. OR you could use sihouettes made out of fondant (simple to do - use cookie cutters) of champagne glasses and baby stuff (soother etc...). I use them and it's easy.
Hope that helps. Please be sure to post pics when you're done!

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 3

This is probably not going to help at all - but the first thing that came to my mind when I read the original post was a play on words - BIRTH day. Have a complete mental blank as to how you would incorporate it into a cake though! Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%