Help, Pvc Pipe In This Topsy Turvy Cake?

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 9:32pm by pmarks0

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to do a cat in the hat cake. She loves this one cake ( link below). I have PM the decorator and haven't heard back and I've got to begin prep work on this cake in a few days.
Please all you pro's who have done pvc and topsy turvy cakes. In my 10 years experience, I have never done anything like this. It's definatly a new level for me and much needed.
Where do I start and how do you balance everything without crushing the cakes below?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1868676

Thanks in advance!!!

1 reply
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 2

I've done topsy turvy but not with PVC...

Looking at the picture and at her comments about the cake, and knowing that the cat and the teapot are RKT (which is why the teapot can easily sit up top), I think you will be fine.

She said she's attached the pvc to the board. When you make the different cake elements, you need to cut a hole the diameter of the pipe in the cake and the board and thread them down over the pipe. She doesn't say, but I'm sure she's using dowels/bubble tea straws in the cakes for support under the cake boards. And she's very likely got a cake board midway up the hat because it looks like it's 5 2" cakes put together and you need to dowel and place cake boards every 4-6" to support that tall a tier. However, on that last point, I may be incorrect because she's got the pvc piping in the middle, it may be possible to have very long dowels. Someone else may have an opinion on that. I personally would put support midway on the hat before covering it with fondant and use dowels as I normally would when stacking. The next cake is just a a topsy layer that thas been threaded over the pipe and placed onto the hat cake which will have the dowels in it to support that tier. And then you would need dowels to support the teapot I guess if it's got any weight to it. If not, then I'd thread the top of the pipe into the bottom of the teaport.

Not sure if this helps or if I've even guessed right. I'll be interested to see what others say. This is a very cool cake and one I'd like to try one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%