Fondant Bulge

Decorating By nanefy Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 1:29am by nanefy

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

So I'm pretty new to cake decorating etc, but have done a few cakes and certainly had a few disasters.

I bought some vinyl the other day as I was tempted to buy 'The Mat', but being in the UK, it was going to cost about $100 to get it shipped etc. Well I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I didn't bother, because I used the vinyl today and OMG, it is simply THE single best purchase I have ever made. I was able to roll the fondant really quite thin (thinner than normal, and I normally roll to thick lol) and it went on the cake like a dream. I honestly am so happy today.

Anyway, back to my point. So I buttercreamed the cake (with the BEST buttercream I've ever used), it was so smooth etc and I fired it in the fridge and let it set up - I probably should have let it sit for a few hours so that it was properly set. Anyway, I had tried to remind myself to mist my cake with water before I popped the fondant on, but I was so excited about the vinyl and the fondant not sticking that I completely forgot and it was too late. Now, as with every single cake I've made, the fondant smooths right out with the smoother, but then after about 1 hour the fondant starts to settle a bit and I end up with bulge half way down the cake. Now I know it's not buttercream, because there is no squishy bits underneath it. My question is this - is it simply because I didn't mist, or coat my buttercream with piping gel?? Is it because my fondant simply has nothing to stick to? I'm always nervous about putting water underneath in case of big air bubbles, but is piping gel the answer?

Anyway I realise this is probably a basic question, but I wan't to know before I make any more cakes.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies
graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 4

I understand the excitement of it allicon_smile.gif However, the fondant does need something to stick to! I usually get a piece of rolling paper and wet it and fold it. Then I gently tap the area where I were to apply the fondant. hope this helps

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 4

I would say it is probably a combo of you didn't let it stand long enough to settle and the fact you didn't mist.

What I don't understand is why you didn't do it again. If it wasn't misted then it wouldn't really of stuck so you could have just peeled it off, re-kneaded it and rolled it out again.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:29am
post #4 of 4

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. The reason I didn't re-do, is because I had already smoothed and cut the excess etc before I realised lol. Plus, it was just a test cake and I wasn't hugely bothered. As I say I kept saying to myself 'must remember and mist the cake' and then purely because the vinyl was amazing, I just totally forgot lol.
I plan on doing loads more test cakes because I really need to get proficient at it.

Anyway, here are the photo's - the bulging isn't terrible, in fact I don't think the pictures really show it, but you can let me know what you think. This is probably my 5th cake and I have to say, it's my utter favourite so far. I was so chuffed with the ruffles (even though they aren't perfect) but it's amazing how just a little work can really pay off.

Anyway thanks for your advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%