"wrapping" A Cake In Fondant

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm by Amylou

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:13am
post #1 of 3

I've seen so many beautiful cakes on here lately that are wrapped in fondant.. like just wrapped on the sides as opposed to the top as well. Im wondering what the best way is to do this.. I have tried it a few times but I have a hard time getting the fondant to not stretch after Ive measured it.. is the technique to just let it sit? also after you wrap it, how do you repair the line where the two ends meet?

2 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:47am
post #2 of 3

You just overlap the end then trim both layers with one cut and remove all the excess. Moisten the join slightly with a wet paintbrush to help it stay joined as the fondant dries. Just make sure the join is at the back of the cake, make it as neat as you can, and cover it with decorations if possible. I don't know how to make the line completely disappear, although others may be able to tell you some miracle trick.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

I've done 2 cakes this way now and what I do is roll the fondant onto a rolling pin without handles, with the bottom end flush with the edge of the rolling pin. Stand the pin/fondant up against the cake and roll the pin/fondant around.

When the whole thing is on, make sure the end overlaps the beginning, then do a cut along both pieces. You may have to do a second cut once you smooth out the fondant and it has stretched a bit.

As far as the seam goes, I can't get it looking seamless. I don't worry about it so much b/c it's always the back of the cake. I do use some royal icing the same color and try and patch up the seam that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%