Venting - Family Sheesh

Decorating By luckylibra Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 3:36pm by cakeymom

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I am a hobby baker and have been making cakes for family and friends for about a year. I am also employed full time and finishing my MBA...and did I mention a single mom. So at a family function a few months ago it was brought up that my nephew's graduation is the same day as my dad's half-brother's step-daughter.....I remember clearly that I said at the time that I don't make more than two cakes a month or so and certainly not two the same week and had planned on making my nephew's cake. I get on facebook today and she has posted under the picture of the cake I made this weekend. "Graduation is May 28th in Columbus, 10am at East & 1pm at North. Amy would love something bright, pretty, & with polka dot.".....My nephew goes to East and her daughter goes to North....not a please would you make or anything let alone the fact that I already told her I would not do it as I am making my nephew's....thanks for letting me vent.. some people are just so self absorbed they have no idea the rest of the world is not revolving around them..

8 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 9

They also don't understand how long it takes to make a cake. They seem to think I should have the time in between everything I do to throw a cake in. I understand your frustration as I have stopped making any cake that I do not say that I will do. I don't do many cakes as I don't have a lot of time and know that family will still expect you to do for them.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

I would post right under it "Did you not understand when I sai I wouldnt be making her cake as I'll be busy making my Nepohew's cake"?

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 9

thanks, yes. She obviously has no idea how long it takes and what all is involved. I went ahead and posted back that I could not do it as I was doing my nephews cake.... and she responds "Aww! We could pick it up the day before? ".........because that would make such a big difference... I think I will private message her that it takes more than one day for me to make them and decorate them in between my job, school and taking care of my daughter and that I really can not do one for her daughter that week..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9

I would post "What part of I'm not making it don't you understand"?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

"If I don't have time to make it by Saturday, what makes you think that hurrying up and squeezing it in to be done by Friday would be easier for me?"

dumba$$es. dunce.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:25am
post #7 of 9

mmm.. I'd be writing back with something along the lines of "wow.. that cake sounds great.. Similar to the one I'm making for my nephew that week but his is blue. Shame I don't have the time to make her cake this time round, but I bet the decorator you've chosen to book with will be just as great!"

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:36am
post #8 of 9

I totally understand your grief. I had a girl come up to me Thurs wanting a cake for her daughter the next day! I had to tell her no as I need at least a week notice. Working full time and going home and making a last minute cake is not in the cards!

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 9

Instead of being blunt by asking what makes you think I can squeeze it in on Friday?

Be honest let them know that you appreciate them holding what you do in such high regards and that if you had enough time you certainly would not mind doing it but time will not allow and in the future please give you at least at least a 10 day or more notice. I've found that the softer approach is better.

I think as cakers we forget that not everyone knows exactly what goes into the process and once it's explained then everyone leaves the table without be insulted. At least that's been my experience.

cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%