Fondant Pieces On The Side Of A Bc Iced Cake

Decorating By blueangel174 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 7:12pm by cakegirl1973

blueangel174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueangel174 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

I like covering my cakes in BC and not fondant, but sometimes I want to add fondant decorations to the sides of them. What is the best way to attach fondant pieces to the side of a BC iced cake? I would think RI, but I want to be sure so I don't have pieces falling off. Thanks!

3 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 4

You can dampen the back of the fondant piece w/a little water or use more of the same BC as the cake. If the cake is freshly frosted, pressing the fondant cutouts into the BC is usually enough to stick the pieces in place so long as they are not really big.

HTH
Kristy

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

I do it all the time. I normally just brush the back of the fondant piece with water. It gets a little sticky and sticks. I have also attached gumpaste pieces without much surface area (like butterflies with wings up) with little dots of buttercream. Both ways stick just fine. Like i said, i do it all the time with no problems.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 4

You can brush a little water onto the fondant pieces and then place it on the buttercream finish, and they will stick just fine. If the fondant pieces are particularly heavy, I have placed a lite coat of buttercream on the back of the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%