What Is Modelling Chocolate?

Baking By Spectra Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm by Kread

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 14

So I saw a few people on here use modelling chocolate on their cookies as added designs and I think it is brilliant! I'd love to try it, but have no idea where to start, as in what is modelling chocolate and what do you use to 'model' the chocolate with?

Thanks for any tips!

13 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:37am
post #2 of 14

it's just chocolate compound a.k.a. 'candy melts' mixed with corn syrup. Well, those are the ingredients, of course there is a method to follow like all recipes!

You use it the same way you would fondant.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:09am
post #3 of 14

I use real chocolate. and then the corn syrup. I use it to make roses around my cake pops

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 14

Ohh I see, so you could use it with molds, like fondant type molds to make things? I must find a recipe now! When you say real chocolate do you mean like dark chocolate squares?

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 14

Motherofgrace-do you have a pic of your roses? What a cool idea!

Also, taste aside, are candy melts or real chocolate easier to work with for modeling chocolate? I tried using white Choc chips, and it was really greasy but crumbly. I need to try again, but I thought I'd see if one was easier than the other. Thanks!

winnieyoung103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winnieyoung103 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 14

I've been modeling all my figures in modeling chocolate. Everyone likes the taste better than fondant.
16 oz. wht candy melts
1/2 c. light corn syrup
melt choc. in double boiler when melted remove from heat add corn syrup (I do heat my corn syrup in microwave 15 sec) stir until blended put in saran wrap and in sealed container. I found works best if I store in refrigerator over nite. Next day I knead it until smooth add gel colors to color. Sculpt away!! I love the stuff!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Winnie

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 14

Winnie: Your toppers/figures are wonderful! How do you get them sooo smooth, I don't see finger prints or anything. How do they not melt in your hands?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 14

No kidding, Winnie, you're a genius. I've been wanting to get into modeling chocolate and you've inspired me to try -- not that the things I do will look anything like your cool figures! You obviously have a raw talent that I don't, but I'm gung ho to try! In fact, I'm off to get some candy melts right now! Thanks so much!

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 14

great question and answers. i've been curious about this stuff, too, and didn't realize it was stuff i could make.

winnieyoung103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winnieyoung103 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 14

I pop my figures in and out of freezer for a few seconds to hold some shapes if they start to get alittle soft. I store my chocolate in refrigerator in an air tight container. It really stay pliable and doesn't melt like you would think. It's easier to smooth out finger prints in chocolate than fondant I think. The nice thing is everyone loves to eat all the figures because they taste good. Fondant just doesn't taste good.
I can make my figures ahead and I store in a airtight container in a cool place. I buy my chocolate at my local grocer in bulk 10 lb bags it's cheaper. I found wht choc. chips don't work they get crumbly.
Hope this helps.

bluebell2331 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluebell2331 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 14

cant wait to try this!!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 14

Just bear in mind when you are mixing the chocolate compound into the corn syrup to stir it until it's only just combined, don't keep going.

Kread, I have never tried them, but have heard that chocolate chips have something extra in them to make them hold their shape, so aren't to be used interchangably with the choc drops.

I think if you were using 'real' chocolate it would be a lot more complicated as you would have to temper it before use, it's a lot more delicate to work with. The chocolate compound (aka candy melts) do not contain real cocoa, so you can just melt them willy nilly.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 14

they are not perfect! lol, I will post some pictures later icon_wink.gif

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 14

Good to know about the chocolate chips! I'll try again with candy meltsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%