Castle Cake

Decorating By alanahchar Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 8:43pm by noahsmummy

alanahchar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahchar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 10:04am
post #1 of 9

hi there, can sum1 please help me im a self taught cake maker and love to experiment, i only make cakes for my 4 children or family.
my daughter is about to turn 11 in 4 weeks and she has requested a princess castle cake, i have no idea where to begin can sum1 please help me!!
it would be greatly appreciated X

8 replies
Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:12am
post #2 of 9

I havent made a castle cake but there are 'kits' availible. Go to Google and search 'Wilton castle cake kit', first link is the kit i think most people use

sam
xxx

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:13am
post #3 of 9

hi, with my two castle cake ive done, ive just done a two tier round cake, for the turrets, the first time i wrapped cardboard cylinders in fondant and topped with an upsidedown ice cream cone, and covered that in fondant "shingles". the second time i did it i used rice krispie treat for the cylindar part.. found it to be more stable.. and used the up turned ice cream cone again.

There are a million and one ways to make a castle cake, i believe wilton sells a turret kit? I think castle are fun because the option really are endless and you can make almost anything work. =) good luck

alanahchar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:14am
post #4 of 9

thank thats a great help, i have heard people talking about wilton kits, but didnt know what they ment ha , thanks X

alanahchar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 9

thanks for the responses , naohsmummy when u say for the towers u used a 2 tier round cake how did u do that?

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 9

When I was (much!) younger Mammy made castle cakes for me and my sisters and used bought (homemade ones were too soft) swiss rolls for two large turrets at the back of the cake and (Cadbury's) minirolls for two small turrets at the front, all with ice cream cones on top.

I guess it depends on cost if you want to buy the kit.

Susieindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susieindy Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9

Hi there! I made a castle cake (you can see in my pics). I did a 10" square, with a 6" round stacked on top. I used cardboard for the turrets, but I like the rice crispie idea also. I iced them in buttercream and I bought a brick mold (pattern press), and rolled them on it once the butter cream crusted. I used the mold on the sides of the 10" and 6" as well. I notched out the corners of the 10" square so the turrets would sit against the corners, and used ice cream cones on top. Put 2 shorter turrets on top of the 6". It was fun, but time consuming.

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 9

Hi. When I made my daughters castle cake (in my pictures) I used a square bottom with a 6" round stacked on top. I used cake ice cream cones covered in fondant for the turrets and then put the sugar cones covered in fondant on the top of those. I got the idea and help from cakesrock. It was fun and not terribly hard but it took a lot of time to do.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 9

a round cake, with a smaller round cake stacked on top. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%