Buttercream Icing Problem - Help

Decorating By PersonalizedCupcakes Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm by pmarks0

PersonalizedCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 2

Hi there,

On 2 occasions (today and once in the recent past) I made a double batch of Wiltons Buttercream icing. Once it was mixed, I tasted it for flavor and the buttercream, after a few seconds, left a gelatin-like texture on my tongue. I could also pick up a grain of salt on my tongue. I re-made the icing the last timetoday I beat it more and it seemed to smoothen out better and be less gelatin-like. I am guessing that because I am doubling the recipe, I need to mix it at a much longer time?????

Has this ever happened to you? Do you know what the problem is?

I dont want to over mix the icing (I dont know if I can over-mix the icing or what the end result will be of mixing it more) but should I mix it more????? I have it sitting in a large covered container for now until I figure this out.

Thank you for your help!!!!!

1 reply
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 2

When you say gelatin like, do you mean kind of greasy? Did you use Crisco shortening? I used to make the Wilton icing but found it greasy and overly sweet. I've since tried both IndyDebi's Buttercream and SugarShack's buttercream, both in the recipe section and am a convert. I now use Sugarshack's buttercream exclusively as my American Buttercream recipe. It uses high ratio shortening which does not have the same greasiness as Crisco. I also don't find it quite as sweet, and it mixes up very smooth. Btw, I don't think you can overbeat an american buttercream.

The other buttercream I use is a SMBC, recipe also found on this site. It's the Well Dressed Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It tastes fantastic, not really buttery and takes flavouring really well.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%