Yet Another Wasc Question!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 4:24am by pmarks0

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 17

I'm not even sure if they have marble cake mixes...but if they do...can i use them along with the WASC recipe!? if not, does someone have a good marble cake recipe they could pass along!

many thanks in advance..
Marianne

16 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 17

I think they do have a marble cake recipe but I just make 1/2 batch white WASC and 1/2 batch chocolate WASC then swirl them together and bake! HTH

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 17

They do. but you can also take out 1 cup of the batter and add 2oz of melted semi sweet chocolate or 1/4c cocoa powder. I prefer the melted chocolate. This is based on your WASC being a single recipe (1 cake mix).

lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 17

AHH, what good ideas!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much!!!

lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 17

forgot to ask....can i just use the marble cake mix if i wanted to???

pmarks0 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 17

Yes. The "marble" part is just a packet of cocoa that you mix with 1 cup of batter.

lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 17

ah..i see...
i think i will use my WASC and add the chocolate myself! everyone always loves that recipe and i already have the cake mixes on hand...icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 17

is it necessary to mix the chocolate with the batter? or can i just use straight melted chocolate??

pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 17

If you mix it, then it's chocolate cake marbled with yellow or white cake. If you just add the chocolate it may a) just be ribbons of chocolate that might disappear into the cake, b) be firm when it cools (if it stays liquid) or c) just disappear into the cake and not really look marbly.

I would mix it into a cup of batter. That's what all the marble recipes do.

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 17

thanks! got it in the oven...! did it with your suggestions...although i did 2 cups of batter and 4 ounces of chocolate because i was make a 12x18...so i made the full WASC recipe. icon_smile.gif
thanks again..

so far so good!

pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 17

Yeah, for a cake that size I would have done the same thing.

You're welcome and I'm sure it will be fine.

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 17

i'm hoping! i tend to have bad luck when I try something new!! icon_smile.gif

this may be a dumb question but when you add the melted chocolate to the batter....you do combine it correct?

icon_confused.gif

pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 17

Yes, you want it to be chocolate batter so mix it in. If there are some bits of the original batter it's not a big deal as it's marble anyway. But mine is usually mixed in completely.

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 17

that's what i did...but..i just wanted to be sure!
thanks for putting up with my "ding-dong-ness" LOL LOL

pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 17

LOL ask away...you won't know without asking.
And if you had gotten annoying, I'd have stopped answering you. LOL.

lolobell Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #16 of 17

okay then! you asked for it!!!!!! LOL

the cake came out "okay"....does yours ever come out with a "crispy/crunchy" like top?

and also...it didn't appear that the "marbling" effect reached all the way down into the cake....it looks as if the bottom part of the cake has no chocolate.. ??!!!!!!!

pmarks0 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:24am
post #17 of 17

Re: the top- yes, I think so. But I don't generally pay much attention as I'm usually leveling it off. I think that might come from the temperature you were baking at. You were baking a large cake. Did you drop your temperature?

Re the chocolate - it all depends on how you do the marbling. I've done it where I will alternately drop the two batters into the ban and then swirl a knife through it. I've also done it where I've put all of the main batter in and then dropped spoonfuls of the chocolate over it and then swirl. There are pros and cons of both. Pros on the first is that you get larger sections of chocolate if that's what you want, but that can also be a con, and it doesn't look so marbled. Pros on the second is that it looks really nice and swirly without big chocolate patches but the con is what you experienced where there doesn't appear to be chocolate down to the bottom.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing really. I prefer the second method because it does look more swirly. Remember, the marble is more effect than flavour as the main flavour is your main colour.

I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm sure it's fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%