Cake For 600 For A 5Th Grade Graduation

Decorating By araisig Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 2:31pm by jewels710

araisig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
araisig Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 10

Hello All!
This is my first forum so I thank you all in advance for the help! I have been approached to do cake for 600 kids, teachers and parents for a 5th grade graduation. My idea was to do a custom cake and then do sheet cakes for bulk of the serving. What size sheet cakes and how many should I make? If they end up wanting cupcakes how many would you make? Thank you again!
A.Raisig

9 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 10

Are you doing single layer sheet cakes (ie 2" high)? If so, then guessing that they'll likely cut it in a 2"x2" size piece, you would need probably 8 14x22" cakes which is 77 pieces each. That's a lot of cake. If they wanted cupcakes, you'd obviously do 600 but how many extra's I'm not sure.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 10

I wouldn't be able to move my arms if I had to decorate 600 cupcakes at one time! LOL!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 10

My arms would fall off, but I know people do it, at bakeries. Pink Cake Box girl says that she's done 800+ per day!

So it is possible.

I think sheet cakes would be easier, but then you have to cut the pieces and on top of them have serving plates.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 10

That sounds like a lot to do with just sheet cakes. I have done larger orders using cupcakes or maybe one decorated cake and the rest cupcakes. Plus with cupcakes it is a lot easier to serve, no waiting etc. and cupcakes are much more kid friendly.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 10

I think you need to ask the school which they'd prefer. Maybe they have the PTA doing the cutting and serving and they'd rather do it that way so they limit the amount of extra they need around. If they'd prefer cupcakes, then they should be able to tell you if they want 1 per person and maybe 10% more just in case. But if you're not doing the serving, then I'd think the decision of sheet cakes vs cupcakes should be left up to the client. And if you do a custom cake, are they cutting it? And will the kids fight over a piece vs a cupcake? Just present the options and pricing to the client and find out what they'd prefer. Remember, it's all going to take you time and you need someplace to store them all and transport them too.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 10

how large of a custom cake are yout hinking of making? That will determine how many sheet cakes you make.

a 12x18 (the largest size my oven willhold) will serve 54 if it's 2" high. If you double the layers so it's 4" high it will serve 108. I like to to the 4" tall cake b/c it's fewer cakes to decorate and carry, but you still get plenty of servings. If you did only these and 4" high then 6 would be enough. But if you're going to serve your custom cake (i'm assuming you mean a tiered cake when you say custom) then you'll need fewer additional cakes.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #8 of 10

Do you have a full bakery? Can you handle an order this big on top of a custom cake?

Honestly, I think a custom cake would be wasted on this type of occasion. I work in a secondary school and every year we do an 8th grade and a high school graduation and no one cares about the cake. In order to serve that many people in a timely manner, the cakes will need to be cut during the ceremony so no one would see the custom cake anyway. Also, and again, this is from experience, most people can't wait to leave graduations and don't even stay long enough to have the cake and juice icon_smile.gif. It kills me but at our school we buy grocery store sheet cakes for our graduations because it's just not worth the work or expense to do anything else.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 10

I just iced and filled 108 cupcakes earlier this week. It took me 2 hours, including adding toppers (I had made those and baked the cupcakes the day before) and boxing everything up. At least half of that time was filling the cupcakes. Icing swirls are quick, I just placed the un iced cupcakes in the box, then filled them and added the swirls. I would definitely prefer to do cupcakes over a custom cake and sheet cakes for 600.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

how large of a custom cake are yout hinking of making? That will determine how many sheet cakes you make.

a 12x18 (the largest size my oven willhold) will serve 54 if it's 2" high. If you double the layers so it's 4" high it will serve 108. I like to to the 4" tall cake b/c it's fewer cakes to decorate and carry, but you still get plenty of servings. If you did only these and 4" high then 6 would be enough. But if you're going to serve your custom cake (i'm assuming you mean a tiered cake when you say custom) then you'll need fewer additional cakes.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, the 4" high, you will get a lot more servings per sheet cake, thus less of them to do.

As far as cupcakes, you can figure 1 per person, but c'mon, who are we kidding...NO ONE I know eats just one! LOL
Besides, with cuppies, there is a lot more space needed too (for transport, storing & serving).

Double layering your sheet cakes seems the easiest route here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%