Help! Rkt Molding/carving/shaping

Decorating By SweetOwens Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 5:34am by UpAt2am

SweetOwens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOwens Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 10

I've never made/molded anything with RKT but I have an XBOX 360 controller I have to do this weekend.

How do I shape the RKT? Do I mold it or carve it? Also, I've covered RKT "wheels" with fondant before and it was very bumpy, which was fine for tractor wheels...but it's not going to be so great for an Xbox controller that should be smooth....?

Also, the last time I made RKT they were very stiff. Does anyone have a recipe that will work better for what I am doing?

Please help! icon_smile.gif THANKS!!!

9 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 10

I just use the recipe off the box.

And I would probably mold the controller rather can carving it, but you can carve it if that's easier.

What you can do is put your RK into a food processor and grind them up so they're fine and mix them with the marshmallow. You may need more or less depending on how soft it is. I found that suggestion on a forum after I'd made something else out of RKT. That will help it be smooth when you're forming it.

You can also do a double layer of fondant or smooth with ganache before covering.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7048088.html

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

I formed them and kind of squished them against my counter top to make the shape which in the end was pretty smooth. I allow to set for 24 hours to help them dry out and then a double layer of RI that I smoothed with my dampened hands. I allow the 1st layer to dry before applying the 2nd. I applied a thin layer of simple syrup and covered with fondant. For things that I want perfectly smooth, I so a double layer of fondant. Only done this twice, had loads of help from CC'ers. Best advice I got was to do a practice run first, if it works out well you can always just use that one! HTH

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #4 of 10

I put my rice krispies in a bag and use a rolling pin to pulverize them. Then I build up layers, and smash them in as hard and tight as I can get them... When you I get the final shape, paint them with a wide brush and melted candy wafers. When they chill- you can use your hands and smooth the chocolate with the heat of your hands...

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:02am
post #5 of 10

I also use the recipe off the box. I would just press into a greased pan, using a damp hand, very hard, until the top is flat, and they are the right thickness for the controller, let harden, and cut the correct size controller out. Then coat in candy melt to smooth, then cover in fondant.

SweetOwens Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so much! I feel better about doing it now icon_smile.gif Unfortunately I probably won't have time to do the test run but I think I can do it icon_smile.gif

Also, if you have any tips on covering cakes in fondant it would be helpful. I usually prefer buttercream because I know I am good at that...but in this case I have to use fondant. My cakes usually come out a little bumpy, I don't know how much buttercream to ice with before I put the fondant over it. I have been using MMF which I love, but I think I'm rolling it to thin or something...I dunno! I need a tutor!!!!!

Bskinne Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #7 of 10

Just try to make sure your cake is as level as possible, and do your normal thin crumb coat first. You can cover it at that point if it is level enough or you can stick it in the fridge and let it set up a bit, then come back and put on another thin coat to smooth it all out. The smoother the BC, the smoother your cake is. You want the BC thinner rather than thicker or you'll have issues with bubbling and squeezing out.

SweetOwens Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:07am
post #8 of 10

Thank you!

How thick/thin should I roll the fondant? And should I dust my surface with powdered sugar or crisco? I've been using crisco, and I think that is one of my problems...the fondant gets too flimsy.

Bskinne Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:17am
post #9 of 10

I only use crisco for the initial kneading phase. I Let it rest and then add PS as needed, but when it gets to the point of rolling, and it's already to the consistency I need, I use corn starch to roll it out on.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:34am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

When you I get the final shape, paint them with a wide brush and melted candy wafers. When they chill- you can use your hands and smooth the chocolate with the heat of your hands...

exactly! makes it as smooth as silk icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%