Quick Overview Please....i Need Flavoring 101

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm by infinitsky

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 6

I've tried reading the Gourmet Cake Flavors thread and it has great information, but it will take me forever to get through it. But could someone give me the quick "For Dummie's" version of the differences between extracts, emulsions, and oils. I am looking for the best way to flavor icings but not change the color if I'm using a pure white buttercream, and also the best way to use a base WASC recipe but get different flavors in my cakes and cupcakes. Thanks

5 replies
dst10spr97 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:53am
post #2 of 6

Any thoughts?

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 6

That thread is really long... but great. I think MacsMom has a google doc that summarizes the recipes. It used to be listed in her signature line.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

From my understanding, oils are more concentrated flavors and are stronger so you don't need as much as extracts.

Here is an explaination of: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-10-bakery-emulsions.aspx

Recipe link for WASC flavor variations: https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

It would honestly be hard to give a quick overview of that thread since there is 363 pages of it. Basicly the WASC cake is changed up by using different flavored coffee creams/liquids and yogurts and I beleive in some cases puddings.

dst10spr97 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 6

One day I will finally get through that entire thread. icon_lol.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst10spr97

One day I will finally get through that entire thread. icon_lol.gif

Me too! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%