Cake Mix Question

Decorating By Lovesautumn Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 5:36am by NanaSandy

Lovesautumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovesautumn Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a 9x13x2 cake for my son's first birthday on Sat.
This is a new pan and I was wondering if this pan would need more than one cake mix?

Also how much icing would I need?

Newbie here!!

7 replies
kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 8

One cake mix should be plenty...I use about 5 cups of buttercream for a quarter sheet cake icon_smile.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 8

I use Pillsbury mixes and I have to use 2 for mine. If you are using a box mix, they do not all measure out the same. Here is a link to help you.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

a 9x13 uses 7 cups of batter to get 2" of height
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Depending on what brand or flavor of cake mix you use you'll need about 1-1/2 boxes up to 2 boxes. Different brands and falvors within thos brands make anywhere from 3-5 cups of batter (unless you're adding more ingredients to it as an extender then it'll make more cups.)

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 8

Like the others have said, you are looking at using 2 mixes to get 2 inches in height out of your 9x13

momcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcake101 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 8

I use Duncan Hines cake mixes! I like a nice high sheet cake (2 in.), so definitelly use 2 boxes. Any left over, make a few cupcakes! Oh, and let me tell you I find the DH butter yellow cake mixes to taste wonderful, and are very moist. Just be very careful not to over bake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 8

As "just a mom" who is going to leave the cake in the pan and slap some icing on it, one cake mix will work.

As a caker, who is going to flip the cake out and who wants a nice tall even cake, and who is going to actually decorate it, I'd use 1.5 cake mixes. (I use Betty Crocker. Yes, the brand of mix will make a difference.)

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:36am
post #8 of 8

I agree with Indydebi. I use Betty Crocker and 2 cake mixes. I used to only put 1 1/2 but, it didn't make my cake high enough. It tastes better now, before when I didn't have enough batter, the sides were hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%