Wedding Cake With Pillars

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm by CWR41

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm doing my first wedding cake this weekend. It's 2 tiers with pillars in the middle. I'm using the hollow pillars whereby I use dowels as well. I just wondered if I should stick the pillars with royal icing to the bottom and top tiers to secure it. I'm worried if anyone moves the table or anything, the top tier will fall over. Also, I need to put a "plastic" bride & groom on the top tier. Should I secure this with royal icing? I've got 2 cake books and they dont mention anything about "sticking" the pillars. I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 4

No, you really don't have to use royal to stick the pillars to anything. The weight of the cake and gravity will hold it,assuming you put the pillars in straight. Why do you need the dowels? Over supporting can be just as damaging as under supporting.

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, I wont stick the pillars then. I'm using the dowels because the pillars are hollow and so the cake above actually sits on the dowels (I think). Ooohh I hope I dont mess this up!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG0265

I'm using the dowels because the pillars are hollow and so the cake above actually sits on the dowels (I think).

No, the cake above actually sits on the plastic separator plate. The hidden pillars are to be attached to the plate. If you're using one upper plate and four hidden pillars, they are only 6" tall, so 4" would be inside the cake and 2" exposed as pillars. If you're planning to use two separator plates and four hidden pillars with the entire 6" pillars exposed, then you would also use dowels or something for a support system under your separator system. If you're doing the single plate set up and need more than 2" of pillar height, you might consider using the push-in pillars or another style that's available with different height choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%