Question For Canadians

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm by paula0712

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 13

I am learning more and more every time i do a cake. I am wondering where Canadians get their supply from? I have been making MMF but want to try Satin ice. And i find online there are so many tools but where to find them?

12 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 13

Hi! Yay a fellow Canadian! I'm from Saskatchewan and here in Regina I get Satin Ice from our hobbystore called PM Hobbycrafts. I like Virgin Ice fondant too and Bulk Barn carries that.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdrysdale

I am learning more and more every time i do a cake. I am wondering where Canadians get their supply from? I have been making MMF but want to try . And i find online there are so many tools but where to find them?

Where in Canada are you?

In addition to Michael's which seems to have stores everywhere in Canada except the province of Quebec.
In Calgary you could try http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store/ .
In Edmonton there is http://www.cakemischief.com/.
In south Ontario there is http://www.goldaskitchen.com/index.ihtml.
In Quebec City we have Fantaisies Culinaires which doesn't have a huge inventory, but promises to be able to get whatever I ask for.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 13

Where I come from theres hardly any stores for caking supplies, so I either get from Micheals (in Edmonton), ebay or Goldas Kitchen (online)

cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula0712

Hi! Yay a fellow Canadian! I'm from Saskatchewan and here in Regina I get from our hobbystore called PM Hobbycrafts. I like Virgin Ice fondant too and Bulk Barn carries that.

Where is the PM in Regina? I thought they were only in Calagary and Med Hat. My DH drives truck and when he's in Calgary he shops for me at the PM there. Having a Regina source would be good too.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 13

I order from flourconfections.ca, goldas kitchen, cake mischief and creative cutters.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 13

Oh! And I forgot Bulk Barn (for high ratio shortening and Wilton supplies), the dollar store (you would be surprised of what you can find), Michaels (mostly for ribbons).

misscrazy4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscrazy4cakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 13

I'm in the GTA in ontario, and I get my stuff at a few places. Mccalls, I use their store brand fondant and its inexpensive and easy to work with. Also, Golda's kitchen, they have lots on their website and prices are reasonable. And flour confections, they have great service and they ship.

I just recently purchased some fondant at bulk barn (virgin ice), in addition to being more expensive than the other stuff I normally use, it was terrible! Very hard to work with. It was very soft, and tore a lot. I would not recommend this.

www.mccalls.ca
www.flourconfections.com
www.goldaskitchen.com

Hope that helps!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

Where I come from theres hardly any stores for caking supplies, so I either get from Micheals (in Edmonton), ebay or Goldas Kitchen (online)

I've ordered online from http://www.cakemischief.com/ without problems. They're in Beaumont ( a burb of Edmonton). Their shipping is not outrageous, there is (as you know) no provincial tax and because they're a really small company they're not yet charging the GST, and as an added bonus, when you get your first order they give you a 10% discount coupon for your next order.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 13

Im in spruce Grove Alberta, and I use michaels or cake mischief mostly, or their is a small one called michaels amusments

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 13

If Bulk Barn or Michael's doesn't have it, I can usually order online from Golda's. Have ordered several times and have no complaints....

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 13

I will check all those places out, I live in a small town 45 min from Winnipeg Manitoba, I know of Bulk Barn and Micheals but find i am seeing different "TOYS" LOL that i can't seem to find there. Did not know there was so many Canadian on here.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 13

Cakeyouverymuch - the PM is hobby here is actually now called Red Line hobby. Sorry for the mix up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%