Need Help Asap.

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:03am by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 4

Oh my...I'm not sure what the deal was with my fondant tonight! I'm ready to pull my hair out. Each layer wrinkled and tore. I didn't let it sit out any longer than normal. I adhered it to a ganache covered cake using piping gel to adhere it. It's stuck. Stuck, stuck. If I try and take it off, I think the ganache will come with it, and this cake is for tomorrow.

So- the big question- Can I put another layer of fondant on top of the crummy layer? There is really no way to fix it. I have tried all I can. icon_sad.gif

3 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

Yes you can put another layer over the one that is there, smooth it out as best you can and try to keep the next layer as thin as possible so you don't end up with really thick fondant on your cake.

I don't know that I would have put anything on my ganache to adhere it. I would have thought it would have been fine without the piping gel.....that's just me though.

Good Luck.

Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:06am
post #3 of 4

I brush over my ganache with a small amount of water (sometimes I melt a small amount of apricot jam in the water) before putting the fondant on. Try that instead of the piping gel next time. Piping gel is probably to slippery for the fondant. Can you try cutting the fondant off with a knife - I recon the bumps etc from the bottom layer will show thru if you put another thin layer over the top.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:03am
post #4 of 4

I'm going to chalk this up to a cake disaster. I just covered over imperfections as best as I could...and it resulted in an uber busy cake. :/

I usually just use a little water, but was having a problem with the fondant not adhering...so this time I tried piping gel as I thought I'd read it on here somewhere...? Guess I won't go that route again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%