My Cake Is Sagging...what Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By lenaky Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 2:45pm by cheatize

lenaky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenaky Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 11

I want to start from the beginning to see what i did wrong.....i made mmf one day and placed it in the fridge like i always do, the next day i baked the cakes. the day after that i started decorating the cakes. i made a 3 layer, 2 tiered cake. before i buttercreamed the bigger cake, i placed about 6 or 7 bubble tea straws in the middle of it. i buttercreamed them, set them aside on my table and started coloring the fondant for the 1st tier. it took about an 45 mins to an hour to do that. then i started covering the cake. i used a smoother to make sure it looked good. i cut it flush with the cake board. then i moved on to the next cake, colored the fondant then covered it. i didn't stack them right away, i did that hours later because i wanted to decorate them first.
after they were decorated i stacked them. they looked great. about an hour later i saw some sagging with the top and bottom tier (the fondant). by the next day, the day of the party, they had sagged so much that i could've cut off about another inch of fondant. what did i do wrong? does the cake need to settle after i put the fondant on? should i make it one day and decorate it the next day? please tell me what i'm doing wrong. thank you in advance for your help.

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:42am
post #2 of 11

I don't us MMF, but it sounds like it was too soft.

PS you put supports in *after* the fondant.

lenaky Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:54am
post #3 of 11

thank you, i'll try that next time.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 11

I fill and crumb coat my cakes while frozen...then let them sit out until they settle (typically 24 hours). Then they go to the fridge to firm up. After completely cold and firm, I fondant (with Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe). Then I put supports in. Finally, I stack, stake down the middle and back to the fridge it goes. Haven't had a problem with this method.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, supports should go it after the fondant is on. For one thing, they leave a hole in the fondant so you know where they are during cutting. icon_smile.gif I'm sure it tasted good anyway....

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 11

You don't have a photo do you? Could be a lot of different factors and it would be a lot easier if there was a pic

lenaky Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:19am
post #7 of 11

in this picture, it looks decent, you still can see some sagging. the next day it sagged so much more. i probably shouldn't have stacked it the night before.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

It could be that you're rolling your fondant too thick. I found that Michele Foster's fondant can be rolled thinner, thus it's not weighing down the cake.

lenaky Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:31am
post #9 of 11

after watching fabulous cakes on tv, i think what i'm doing wrong is that i don't refrigerate my cake after i bc it. and i noticed them putting another coat on just before they cover it with fondant. is that what i'm doing wrong? i always put one coat of buttercream on, should it be 2, and refrigerate the first layer?
i've been trying to add a pic, but for some reason i can't!

lenaky Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:40am
post #10 of 11

i finally attached a photo, but i put it in the galleries. its the team umizoomi cake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 11

I think it's either that you didn't let your cakes settle before covering them with fondant or that your supports may have been too short since you put them in before covering with fondant. I know it doesn't seem like the difference in height is that much, but it could be enough that the top cake sinks into the bottom instead of resting on the supports.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%