Favorite Cream Filling Recipe???

Decorating By EmilyJo9 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm by leah_s

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a two tier cake for a girls night and I wanted to use fresh strawberries as requested by my girlfriends but I don't have a good cream filling to use with it and I don't want to use my regular buttercream so help me out and let me know what you use! TIA

3 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 4

You could try whipping a pint of whipping cream with strawberries and cream pudding mix.... I've never tried that one, but I make mousse' filling all the time like this with chocolate or vanilla.

Christy

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 4

Here's the recipe I use. I've made it with yellow cake, fresh strawberries and chocolate buttercream. It gets raves every time. To fill it I used a very thin layer of bc, a good dam, the pastry cream, then a layer of sliced strawberries. VERY perishable, though.

Pastry Cream

1 cup whole milk
3 lg egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs butter
flavoring (see below)

Heat milk to simmering over medium heat.

Whisk together egg yolks and sugar; add cornstarch and stir until smooth.

While constantly beating with whisk, gradually pour about 1/2 cup of milk into egg mixture. Pour egg mixture into remaining milk and cook, stirring constantly, until boiling and thickened, about 1 minute.

Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter and flavoring. Transfer to shallow bowl (I prefer a glass pie pan) and lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until completely cool.

Flavoring options:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp raspberry extract
1-2 tbs Bailey's Irish Cream (to taste)
1-2 tbs Amaretto liqueur (to taste)
1 tsp grated lime or lemon peel

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 4

1 part Bavarian Cream sleeved filling to 2 parts whipped bc or Rich's. Completely shelf stable. And easy. And quite good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%