Avoid The "belly Button"

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 8:21am by indydebi

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 5

When I cover a two tier cake with fondant how do I avoid the hole left in the fondant made when I put my center dowel through?

4 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5

If your talking about the one that's on the top tier, run your dowel through all the cakes except the top one. After you have done that, then slide your top tier onto the dowel, making sure it's short enough that it's not going to poke through the top.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

If your talking about the one that's on the top tier, run your dowel through all the cakes except the top one. After you have done that, then slide your top tier onto the dowel, making sure it's short enough that it's not going to poke through the top.

alo make sure to put a hole in your cake board BEFORE putting your cake on it to decorate. Trust me icon_smile.gif will save you from saying a few choice words.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #4 of 5

Do that first thing to your board, even befor you put your cake on it just so you don't forget, or you will be saying choice words. lol, sounds like I'm not the only one who has done that, tehe!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:21am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

If your talking about the one that's on the top tier,.....

If the cake will have a topper on it, the topper will cover the hole.

if you're talking about the bottom tier, the top tier will cover it. once the cake is disassembled and starts to get cut, no one cares if there is a hole in it. thumbs_up.gif

If neither of these apply, then of course go with the excellent advice already given. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%