Ribbon Or Fondant??

Decorating By bcarb Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 4:11am by Chellescakes

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:54am
post #1 of 10

I see pics of cakes that appear to have ribbon where the tiers meet. Is it ribbon or fondant, because it sure does look like ribbon. If it is ribbon, is there a special type that doesn't get greasy. Can it be on BC or just fondant. Thanks for everyone's time.

9 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:07am
post #2 of 10

I think its a matter of preference. A lot of cakes have fondant ribbons but you can also use fabric ribbon. I dont think there is a special kind of ribbon to prevent grease stains, but you can use clear contact paper on back of the ribbon, or even some parchment or wax paper. But if your going to apply a fabric ribbon to a BC cake, I would wait until it has fully crusted and/or wait until the last minute to apply the ribbon. If its on fondant I usually glue it with a little bit of piping gel....or maybe even some BC.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:57am
post #3 of 10

I always use real ribbon on my cakes, I work in fondant though, I glue it on with some fondant that has had a drop of water added to it and melted in the microwave for 8 seconds. It doesn't stain the ribbon, on the odd occasion I have had to put ribbon on ganache or buttercream or even fresh cream I have used florist ribbon, that you can buy from craft stores .

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the quick replies. To Chellescakes, when you say florist ribbon, I think of the tape used to wrap a flower stem when arranging flowers. You must mean something esle, right? I think the only place in my small town that has a selection of ribbon is Michaels and I've never seen a section with florist ribbon. I'm confused, but that seems the norm thises days.

Did I say I love this site?? Well, I do. I have so many questions that I'm just bursting with them. Wish they had a site lite this for flower arranging, too.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

If its on fondant I usually glue it with a little bit of piping gel....or maybe even some BC.

I'm putting fondant ribbons on a wedding cake tomorrow. I caught your post about using piping gel to make the fondant stick. Any tips for doing this? Thanks
Ps: the ribbons will be on the bottom of the tiers and in different spots on the tiers like a geometrical design. They go all the way around the tiers. Yikes!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

If its on fondant I usually glue it with a little bit of piping gel....or maybe even some BC.

I'm putting fondant ribbons on a wedding cake tomorrow. I caught your post about using piping gel to make the fondant stick. Any tips for doing this? Thanks
Ps: the ribbons will be on the bottom of the tiers and in different spots on the tiers like a geometrical design. They go all the way around the tiers. Yikes!

I'm going to do this also on a display cake for a upcoming bridal show. I would simply put a little dot here and there where you want it to stick, because you dont want too much piping gel and it leaks out or goes through the ribbon.

mareg Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 10

I normally use water but black on white has me worried.

Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:38am
post #8 of 10

I mean the ribbon that florists use to make the bows when they wrap up a bunch. They use it for decoration.

mareg, melt down some fondant in the microwave for 8 seconds with just a drop of water in it. it is the best glue and it won't show through the ribbon. I apply it with a small clean paintbrush sparingly onto the fondant where I want it to stick. I also use this to stick flowers or figurines onto sides and tops of cakes. if it dries or hardens just re microwave it. or add a drop more water.

mareg Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #9 of 10

Thanks!

Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:11am
post #10 of 10

no worries , mare, We call it Gumf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%