Cake Classes In My Home. Do I Need A License?

Business By Megalish Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm by sweetflowers

Megalish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megalish Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone know if you can teach cake classes in your home without some kind of license?? If I provide the materials and the know-how, is there a law against it? I guess all states could be different, but does anyone do this and know you don't need a license where you are at? Thank you for your help.

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 3

I know that as long as you're not preparing food for sale that would go home with the students you don't need to have a food handlers-type license to teach classes in Virginia. If they leave with food that was prepared during class that's a different story, they're weird about that here and there are different rules about different types of food.

I teach classes but it goes through my business as far as income and taxes go. You should probably call and find out what the business licensing office at your county's government offices say, since they'd probably be the ones to regulate that.

Keep in mind that if you're doing a business in your home, which would be what you're doing if you're teaching, that you'd need to have liability insurance that would cover having customers in your house. For that you'd need to ask the insurance agent who does your homeowner's insurance to see what you're covered for. You'll also need to report the income, so you'll need to keep records for your taxes.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

There are also different requirements in different counties and cities for zoning laws. If you are not zoned for a business to be run from home, and have 15 people taking up parking and causing traffic once a week for classes (or whatever), your neighbors will get mad and might call the city. so you might want to look into that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%