Does Anyone Just Order Their Gumpaste Flowers??

Decorating By bellaudreycakes Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm by weirkd

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 9

i never really attempted to make my own gumpaste flowers they look very time consuming are there some people that just order their gumpaste flowers from a supplier like Global Sugar Art? I was thinking about wedding cakes and thought maybe I could have the pics of those flowers you can order and let the brides know I can have these edible flowers ordered for your cake but I do not do them myself. My thinking is by the time I learn how to do all those flowers and the time it takes to put into them I would probably be losing $ on them why not just order them online have the bride pay what you have to pay with shipping and be done with it?? Anyone else do this or is this just a crazy idea??

8 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 9

Not a crazy idea, people do it all the timethat's why they're sold. Rather than making them yourself and losing money on them, you could phrase it differently and "offer" that option to the bride that wants them handmade by you at an outrageous hourly rate explaining that prepurchased will be more affordable. (I'll bet they choose the cheaper option every time!)

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 9

I cannot make buttercream roses to save my life. On a couple of occasions, I have purchased gumpaste roses (not Wiltons) from the local cake supply store when I was short on time. Worked out just fine.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 9

Yep no way I have time to make all those sugar flowers and no way my customers want to pay that kind of expense.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

Oh yes... Buy! I'm not good at making flowers. I can arrange like a fool though! I can decorate, pipe or whatever you need me to do that doesn't involve making flowers with gumpaste or fondant. icon_smile.gif

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 9

oh thank goodness! Wanted to offer them but didn't want them to be the death of me either lol....glad to hear others just order them too thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, yes, I've been buying them for years. No one wants to pay me what I'd have to charge for my time. And anyway, my time is MUCH better spent marketing my business than making little fiddly things like flowers.

Love Avalon Deco .com.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 9

It depends on the flower. I buy them if they have to be on taped wire (I am awful at using floral tape!), but most often the flower I need isn't sold online! I can usually talk them into fresh flowers when that is the case icon_wink.gif .

But roses and anemones are easy enough to make - however, if I need 20 of them I'd rather buy!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 9

Hey leah, I was checking out that site but there are no prices listed. How do you get their pricing sheets?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%