How To Make Zippers?

Decorating By Pammhill Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 12:11am by kcassano

Pammhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pammhill Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:01am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys! I plan to make a purse cake so I have been trying to figure out how to make a zipper. Wonder if it can be done without buying a $20 mold. Please Help! icon_redface.gif

4 replies
multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:45am
post #2 of 5

Hi, the way I made my zipper for my Vuitton Bag was taking a thin strip of fondant cut to the size, length, thickness of a zipper...then I used a zig-zag impression roller and rolled it firmly down the strip...I then airbrushed the piece with gold shimmer...it worked great for meicon_smile.gif

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 5

absolutely!!! go get yourself a real zipper from the fabric store and use that as your mold. roll your fondant out, then press it into the zipper (or vice versa, then trip the excess off. and it'll only cost you a couple bucks! i did this on both my blue and pick diaper bag cakes. i painted them silver after they were on the cake. if you want part of the zipper "open", then just unzip part of the zipper and press the fondant into the opened side--you'll get all the little teeth marks. works great!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:07am
post #4 of 5

I made one exactly how kcassano described...you can see it here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1557011/1557015

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #5 of 5

Nice job. Cool technique with leopard peint. Will have to try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%