Anyone Mastered Cricut Cake

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 1:06am by shelbycompany

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

I am so confused on what I have read on cake central, youtube, or cutting edge blog. I have just purchased my cricut cake and have a few questions such as: what is best, fondant with tylose or gumpaste? Do you let it freeze or just let it dry. Is homemade gumpaste better or store bought? If homemade is better, anyone have a recipe they will share.

Thanks,
Carol

10 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 11

Hahahahahahahahaha no. I don't have enough time to sit and play with it sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't . Of course always when I NEED it to work it doesn't. Yes , I do have a homemade gumpast recipe, let me know if you need it.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #3 of 11

I have always used Bekels brand Gumpaste (already made). I have found that if I roll it out directly onto my mat, it works better for me (I have the mini). I don't stick it in freezer prior to cutting. I roll it out and then set my machine up and go to work.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:14am
post #4 of 11

I actually love mine. I am a hobby baker but if you look in my pics the toy story I just did the characters are all gumpaste with my cricut (besides the Woody and Buzz). I roll the gumpaste out and put it in the freezer for about 6- 10 minutes then pull it out and cut it.. works like a charm. The wheels on my thomas were cricut as well and some of the items on the mickey mouse clubhouse. Like I said, I love it. I have three mats so I can roll the different colors out and freeze them and then cut one at a time, reroll if I need to and freeze while I cut the others, saves time waiting on them to freeze.

MrsJuliette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsJuliette Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:37am
post #5 of 11

Jenn, am I wrong in assuming you are using a regular cricut and not the cake cricut, because I did not know they made a mini cake cricut. As soon as I saw this machine come out I wanted one. I shall soon have one but still collecting data on the best thing to get. Thanks for the help.

Jean

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:57am
post #6 of 11

[quote="MrsJuliette"]Jenn, am I wrong in assuming you are using a regular and not the cake , because I did not know they made a mini cake . As soon as I saw this machine come out I wanted one. I shall soon have one but still collecting data on the best thing to get. Thanks for the help.

Jean[/quote

Hey Jean I don't have one either but I plan on getting one when I can afford it. To answer your question though they do have the mini cake, in fact soon it will only be the mini cake and the martha stewart cake left for the cake aspect of it. The regular cake one will be done away with to my understanding. From what I understand the mini ones do everything the full sized ones do except they are sometimes limited by the size since they are "mini". HTH

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 11

Yes, I do have the Mini Cricut Cake that is exclusive to Joanns.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:09am
post #8 of 11
pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:30am
post #9 of 11

I just use whatever fondant brand I have and add some tylose. You need to roll it thin and let it dry out a bit before you cut it.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:40am
post #10 of 11

I use satin ice fondant, rolled out on my clay roller on 4... i dont freeze or let it sit.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:06am
post #11 of 11

I actually use a 50/50 mix of modeling chocolate and gumpaste. It doesn't need to sit out or anything. I just roll it in the pasta roller and it's good to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%