Fixing Swiss Meringue Buttercreme

Baking By vaniti716 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 8:31am by vaniti716

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone...does anyone know if swiss meringue buttercreme can be fixed once it gets kinda liquidy????? My meringue was working fine until i started adding he butter...i did notice that the bowl was still a little warm buti didnt think that would affect it because theeggs were already stiffbut I was wrong andnow I dont know what to do...pls help!!!!!

7 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 8

I read that you can refrigerate it for a while and then re-whip it or it could be that it doesn't have enough pwd sugar or egg whites or meringue pwd in which case you just add some more of the above.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

I make SMBC all the time. Keep whipping and it will come together but I do not advise to add anything to it. Just my opinion.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 8

Hi. yes, just keep beating it. i put bags of frozen peas or butterbean,etc. around my bowl. It works great. don,t add powder sugar or anything else to it. smbc does not have powder sugar . I can make a batch really fast putting the bags of frozen veg. around the bowl and also my butter is still a liltte cold. some people use it straight from the fridge , you cut very thin pats of butter . Just be sure the bowl is cool or cold. It looks like it isn,t going to incorporate at times. but it does. Patience is the answer.

vaniti716 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:48am
post #5 of 8

thank u all sooo much for the advise I will be letting u know if I can save my meringue icon_wink.gif

vaniti716 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #6 of 8

it didnt work icon_cry.gif I couldnt save my meringue it was way toooo liquidy and the more I mixed it the more liquidy it became....i put it in the fridge and it was really solid so I thought yyyeeeeaaaahhh its fine....I was soooo wrong when it started getting a little warm it started tooo melt icon_cry.gif but its ok I will do better next time icon_biggrin.gif

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:46am
post #7 of 8

Most likely the meringue was a bit too warm and the butter melted when added. If the butter melts, the frosting will breakdown irretrievably. The meringue really needs to be cooled to room temp before adding the butter, which sometimes can take a while. As mentioned above, frozen veggies, or my favorite -frozen blue ice packs- can be propped around the bowl while the mixer is running. Good luck, and don't give up. It s worth the effort

vaniti716 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:31am
post #8 of 8

Thank you sooo much yortma....when i do it right i love it so I will not give up and I will follow the advise on the frozen veggies around the bowl icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%