Thin Edges On Icing

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 3:18am by cheatize

sccandwbfan Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

Howdy y'all,

I have a rookie question for all of you experts. icon_smile.gif

I almost always ice my cakes with the icing tips and always end up with less icing on the edges of the top of the cake no matter how hard I try not to.

Do you have any good tips to keep me from doing this?

Christy icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

If it happens on sheet cakes, not to worry--your border will cover it.

If it happens on tier cakes or layer cakes and you aren't planning to cover the seam with a border, it probably occurs because you're scraping off too much buttercream when you ice the cake.

icer101 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, go to edna's (c/cer) website, She is teaching how to apply buttercream, smooth it ,etc. it is great. She has several tutorial and recipes,etc. they are great. hth

cheatize Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:23am
post #4 of 7

Are the sides of your pans straight? Are you holding whatever tool you are using to smooth straight?

sccandwbfan Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by cheatize

Are the sides of your pans straight? Are you holding whatever tool you are using to smooth straight?

Yes, I use the Wilton pans almost always. I think I'm holding it straight, but I'll have to double check the next time I ice a cake.

indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

If you can nest your pans inside each other, they are not straight edge. Some Wilton pans can nest.

Try a bench scraper. Most are a pure rectangle shape and you can place it on the turntable, with the long side against the cake, give the turntable a spin and scrape the excess icing. If you're using an icing spatula, its easy to have some 'give' in your wrist action without knowing it.

cheatize Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #7 of 7

The Wilton 9 inch round cake pans in particular do not have straight sides at all. If you have two of them, stack them bottoms together then step back and take a look. I found 9 inch round Magic Line pans at Sur la table two weeks ago if you need a recommendation for different pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%