Please Help!!!!!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 4:04am by rcsnickers2

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a pipe for a ductile iron pipe company. I am planning on doing 12" squares for the bottom . Two side by side making it 24" long.. Then taking 8" round cakes stacked on its side to look like a pipe.

How do I stack the round cakes on its side? (6 layers worth)
DO I put a dowel through the round cakes?
How do I stop the round cakes from rolling? (the pipe)

For the pipe, would it better to make a sheet cake or square cakes and carve the pipe? Would the round cake be hard to cut?

I am covering the bottom cake as well as the pipe in fondant.

Thanks for any info. Hope I explained my idea.

I have never done anything this huge before. I think I am thinking big for my field of experience from watching the first and second seasons of cake boss! Man, what awesome cakes!

Letisha

5 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 6

I would probably use stacked sheetcake strips and carve them, but if you want to use the round cakes, I would saw off one side of them all, so that they actually rest on a flat side. Hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

I don't have any advice for your other questions but on your round cakes I would slighty level the bottoms where they rest on the base so they won't move only enough that it doesn't change the roundness if that makes sense.

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 6

i'm with emiyeric. . . i'd use stacked cakes and carve them. you could make a template to guide down the length of the cake. i'm picturing the outside ring from a springform pan but i'm sure there's something else that makes a lot more sense icon_smile.gif . . .also thinking about what the cake will look like when they cut it if the rounds are "sideways"? good luck and let us know what worked for you!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 6

I'd make the pipe from Rice Krispie Treats, that way it's all one piece.

Slightly flatten the bottom of the pipe so that it won't roll, no one will see that it's a bit flattened. If you need to, put a border there to brace it a bit more.

Or put 2 dowels through the cake and into the pipe to hold it in place.

If you go the RKT way, you can always make a sheet cake to get the amount of cake you need. One for show, one to eat

icon_smile.gif

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:04am
post #6 of 6

wow! Thanks everyone. Later I too thought of cutting one side of the round cakes for it to be flat. So now the big question ... to carve or not to carve?

I love the springfold pan idea for the end of the pipe. That is great!!!

thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%