Cricut Machine

Decorating By mayamia Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 1:48pm by pezadoodle

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 3

when CCers talk about the Cricut machine do you mean the new one for cake or the one for making crafts, is there a tutorial on how to use the machine, I know alot of you use it for the awesome lettering, I have been thinking of getting one, please help!!

2 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:57am
post #2 of 3

There are videos on YouTube re the Cricut. ProvoCraft also has a chat board with a sub-board dedicated to the cricut Cake.

Some use the Cake, others adapt and use the Expression, or the Personal. I have the Cake, and I have the Expression that I use to cut fabric letters, etc, for applique projects. I am not a scrapbooker, but have been seeing other projects using the E that I would like to try, esp cutting vinyl lettering/phrases for my walls.

I am a messy Cake user, so I wouldn't want to use my Crisco covered machine for my other projects! I originally bought the E to use for fondant, then heard about the Cake. Though never used, I had broken the seal on the box to read the handbook, so Michael's would not take it back.

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 3

i LOVE my cricut cake! I would definitely say get the one specifically for cake since that is what you are going to be doing. it has some differences - food safe, nooks and crannies are covered up better.

i had a really hard time learning the ins and outs of mine but mostly because i had never worked with gumpaste or fondant nor did i have much cake experience at all!

however it is actually really quick and easy to use. here are my basic tips:

1. i use Cricut Gumpaste for all of my cuts (can't give advice on any other type of stuff)
2. Lay out your designs in Cricut Design Studio on your computer for EACH COLOR before you start cutting.
3. Roll the gumpaste out super thin on a board covered with half cornstarch half powdered sugar. get it really thin. then roll it thinner icon_razz.gif
4. cover your cricut mat with a good transparent coating of crisco. lay it on top of the rolled gumpaste to transfer it to the mat. roll it some more icon_wink.gif
5. PUT IT IN THE FREEZER - mine is usually in there for 30 minutes or so.
6. Take the colors out one at a time and cut the full sheet before it warms up.
7. Take off the excess from around the designs and then stick it BACK in the freezer.
8. Put all of your layers together with gumpaste glue. Keep in freezer covered until ready to put them on the cake.
9. Make cake
10. Decorate!

i just cut all the designs for a super bowl cake yesterday - will be decorating today and then posting it!

I usually put the details of each cake on my blog as well as the Cricut Board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%