Squishy Cakes In Denver..

Baking By RadziCakez Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 12:52am by RadziCakez

RadziCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RadziCakez Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:27am
post #1 of 5

Yea I said that. All my cakes come out squishy to the touch. They taste just fine and are fine to work with too. However, it really weirds me out that it makes this noise when I push down on it. I live in the Mile High City (Denver) so I dont know if I should reduce the amount of water I use or what? I have tried to cook longer with no difference. I never had this problem when I lived in AZ so I am thinking its because of the altitude?! Someone save me from the squishy cakes.... PLEASE and THANK YOU!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

I spent the first thirty years of my life in Denver so all you have to do is ask around and you'll soon find out that when it comes to baking, you need to add extra flour. Most recipes will need one additional TB of flour for every 1 cups cup of flour called for. I know it doesn't seem like a big adjustment, but it makes an enormous difference.

Another thing you could try is using "high-altitude flour" and this is available at just about all the grocery stores in CO. I've never personally used it, as it was also was cheaper and easier to add the extra AP flour to my recipes. Don't worry, you definitely will overcome the "squish factor" with a little experimentation. thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, RadziCakez, I moved to Colorado Springs from the east coast about 15 years ago and learning to bake at this altitude was definitely a challenge. It still is, sometimes! icon_smile.gif

If you're baking from scratch, at the most basic level, you'll need to:
decrease sugar by 2 tbs per cup
increase liquid by 2 tbs per cup
decrease leavening by 1/4 tsp per tsp

It also helps to separate your eggs; beat the whites to stiff peaks; fold them into the batter at the end. I don't always do this, just sometimes.

Bake at a slightly lower temp (325) for a slightly shorter time. If a recipe says 35-40 minutes, I start checking at 25 minutes.

When using a cake mix (straight or doctored) add 1/4 cup of flour and increase liquid as stated above even if the box says you don't need to.

You'll get used to it!

RadziCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RadziCakez Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your advice. I will trying this out tonight! I hope I have seen the last of my squishy cakes..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%