Cream Cheese Icing Question

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm by divinecc

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 4

I know this has probably been asked to death but I have never seen a firm answer that I can remember.
Cream cheese icing... refridgerate or not? how long can it sit out? what if it's fondant covered? I thought that the PS sort of 'cooked' it when added... kind of like a catalyst?
Can someone set me straight please? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 4

It depends on the recipe you have. If there is enough sugar ratio is high enough it will help preserve it sort of like buttercream. Sharon Z pointed me towards a shelf stable recipe she uses

Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

I have covered this recipe with fondant and had no problems as well as on that had to be refrigerated with no problems. HTH!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 4

Thank youso much!

That's really cool because that recipe is exactly the same as what I use!
I've covered it with fondant before just fine, but I was so paranoid to leave it out even just overnight. I'm icing and fondant covering a cake tonight that will be consumed tomorrow just over 24 hours after I make the icing. It'll be nice to relax and not worry about telling the person it HAS to be kept in the fridge!

Thank you again!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 4

Ur welcome hope everything works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%