For Those Who Have Made A Football Helmet Cake

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 10

I want to make a football helmet for this weekend's SuperBowl party. I borrowed the sport ball pan from a friend, but I didn't realize it was so small. That would be a 6" helmet and I'd have to make cupcake or something to have enough cake. I need at least 25 servings.

Any suggestions for a larger helmet? Is the soccer ball pan 8" in diameter? I have an 8x3" pan. All my pans are ...should I maybe consider two 10" layers or even three and carve the round top? Not sure I can do that well. Any suggestions for a ball-like pan that woud fit a 10" pan?

TIA

9 replies
sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #2 of 10

Hi icon_smile.gif I would think the scoccer ball would do better and an 8 inch under it . You could also set the cake on a football field to get extra servings icon_smile.gif

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

I made one once and have to do another this weekend as well. I used (in order from bottom to top) 7", 8", 8", 7", 6" rounds and then carved them to look like a helmet. It turned out pretty good.
Have fun!

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:42am
post #4 of 10

I used a pyrex bowl that measured 8" across the top and then a couple 8" layers under that. It mad a nice size cake and I didn't have to try to carve the dome. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Cjusarmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cjusarmy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 10

When I made my brother's fire helmet and a friends Charger's helemt I used my KA mixing bowl and it came out great!! I did however had to use a 7inc round on the bottom to add alittle bit more height to it. To make sure that the center is dont I used the rose needle on the bottom and baked it in the center rack until it was done. Then all you do is take it out let it cool and just carve out the one side that the face mask was going to be at and crumb coat as usual and cover. HTH!! CJ

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 10

Another thought would be to use the pan that you borrowed and make two small helmets....one for each team. Then put them on a sheet cake made to look like a football field....grass, yard lines, goal posts. Put the two helmets in the middle of the football field facing each other.

pmarks0 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone. I've opted to go with the soccer ball pan.

@Cjusarmy - interesting idea. Do you have the metal bowl?

@cakewhiz - I considered thw two small helpmet scenario on a football field but since we're a Steelers house, I'm not allowed to have anything with the Packer logo on it icon_smile.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

but since we're a Steelers house, I'm not allowed to have anything with the Packer logo on it icon_smile.gif

That's hilarious! But only because our party (and house) is going to be exactly the same! We are completely decked out in Steelers, but I did sneak in some Packers plates for the buffet table, though!

GO STEELERS!

Oh, and definitely post pics of the helmet when you're done! I was going to make a cake but just didn't have time![/quote]

Cjusarmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cjusarmy Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, I have the 6qt bowl, I think. . . But if you look at my pics you can see the Charger football helmet and the Fire Helmet that I used the mixing bowl for. And the good thing is that using it in the oven wont warp or disfigure it at all!!! I like using so much that I went out and bought another bowl for my mixing and use the older one for my baking.

pmarks0 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 10

That's great to know. I too have the 6qt bowl, two actually.

And your cakes look terrific!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%