Cupcakes Problems

Baking By wafawafa Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 12:17pm by Jennifer1970

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:34am
post #1 of 9

Hello, everybody

my start post here , I'd like to start cuocakes business , and now I am traying the recipes I have

My first problem :-
I cooked red velvet recipe the test wasn't so good , but it domed very well and had nice look ,, nect time In added some pudding to the recipe which consists of ( whipeed cream ,condensed milk and little bit of milk) the test turned out great but the cupcakes sinked down although I put them on a high oven temp and then reduced the temp.

My second problem :
with icing buttercream . I didnt like the test , is there a way I can Ice my cupcakes with whipped cream ?? I want something tests lovely and light and I can control the decorating with

Thanks

8 replies
katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:55am
post #2 of 9

There are dozens of recipes for both red velvet cupcakes and various buttercreams...personally, i think you just need to experiment with a few until you find the mix that works for you.

IMBC or SMBC are lovely and will give you a smoother tasting icing.

HTH icon_smile.gif

wafawafa Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:07am
post #3 of 9

thanks dear

but my q was why the cupcakes sinked after I add pudding to the batter ?

I uaed the same recipe without adding pudding and it domed very nice

Is there a problem in the pudding ?

katielb Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:56am
post #4 of 9

im not sure but im guessing the mix had too much liquid once the pudding was added. You might need to turn the oven temp up slightly??
Hopefully others will have more ideas icon_smile.gif

wafawafa Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:08am
post #5 of 9

Thanks katielb

I will try this tolday,, I will make the puddingthicker and I will increase the temp ..

Shall I add more baking soda ?

katielb Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:40am
post #6 of 9

it really depends on the recipe you are using. You may need baking powder - I found this info from the Science of Cooking site really helpful - it might give you a guide icon_smile.gif

Baking powder and baking soda both produce carbon dioxide, which helps raise or "leaven" baked products. Baking soda works best in conjunction with an acidic ingredient. In the case of banana bread, this may be buttermilk, brown sugar, molasses or the bananas themselves. Recipes generally include just enough baking soda to balance the acidity in the batter. For instance 1/4 teaspoon baking soda is balanced with 1/2 cup buttermilk, applesauce or mashed just-ripe banana (note that bananas become less acidic as they ripen). This produces sufficient carbon dioxide to raise one cup of flour.

This however, may not be sufficient to leaven the whole recipe. Here's where baking powder comes in. Baking powder contains both baking soda and a dry acidic ingredient. Since it isn't dependant on acid ingredients in the batter, it is used to add the extra leavening necessary to raise the rest of the batter. Generally one teaspoon of baking powder leavens one cup of flour. In the case of recipes like banana bread which contain heavy ingredients, such as bananas and sometimes heavy grains like wheat germ or whole wheat flour, this may be increased to 1 1/2 or 2 teaspoons of baking powder per cup of flour.

wafawafa Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:43am
post #7 of 9

very helpful ..thanks
I will try to add the BP in my next try

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 9

Usually when you see people add pudding to a recipe, they would add a powdered pudding mix (just the powder, not mixed up to be a finished pudding)....it sounds like you added a lot more liquid, which would change the structure enough to make your cuppies collapse.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 9

I think you are not supposed to actually make the pudding, just add the dry powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%