How Many Loops For A Fondant Loop Bow For 6" Cake?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 12:56am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:58am
post #1 of 8

1st time making a fondant loop bow, I was wondering If I had to make one to top a 6" round cake, how many loops should I make since they would need to be made in advance? How far in advance should they be made?

7 replies
WhiskMeAwayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhiskMeAwayCakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:09am
post #2 of 8

For the bow on the cake in the picture of the monkey cake I did I believe I made 17 or 18 loops. I made them a week in advance and let them dry before putting it together (I used Satin Ice fondant)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:11am
post #3 of 8

I think I usually use about 19.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:12am
post #4 of 8

I think I usually use about 19.

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #5 of 8

I make my loops 1.5 inches wide and about 7.5 inches long. They are looped over a 2in dowel rod to dry at least overnight. Make about 13 loops for a 6 inch cake. You will have a 1 or 2 as breakage insurance.
I would settle on at least 2 days ahead of time for drying. I use gumpaste for bow loops. I live on the coast and it is really humid here. Most of the time, it takes gumpaste two days to dry. Fondant would never really work as bow loops here. HTH!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #6 of 8

Check out the instructions in my sig below.

Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #7 of 8

Thanks heaps guys!

I was planning on doing it simply with plain fondant... coloured in purple. Its been a bit warm but the next couple of days are to be much cooler. I'm hoping I can do it the evening before and they'll set ok (it'll only be about 18 hours????)

ALSO.... how much fondant do you think I'd go through? I have to work out how much I'm going to colour. 250g? (9oz)

Sweet_Toof Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #8 of 8

hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know how I went.
I did the loops around 1.2" (30mm) and I had extra which was good - I ended up using only 11 for a 6" round cake. I could have probably fit more if I trimmed them up better, and now, looking at the photo, my bow is a BIT gappy which kinda annoys me but it did the job anyway.
Unfortunately my aunty needed to drive the cake 1 hour away, but we had terrible floods here and it took her 4 hours to get home - with a family of 4, no air conditioning and it was apparently getting a bit stuffy.
By the time they got home, 1 loop had collapsed - I should have known better and sent a few spares!! - when she left my place, I put them straight into the bin. She wasn't really able to fix it, but instead she kinda took out the crumbled part and left it sitting there. I've asked to see photos - I'm only imagining it from what she tried to describe. Anyway, overall the person who's cake it was just loved it and didn't want to cut it. At the end of the evening, they were left with only a small peice of cake and they also got lots of compliments. Generally a success overall!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%