How Do I Politely Tell People I Dont Sell My Cakes.

Decorating By bakencake Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 8:37pm by aundrea

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 13

I bake all of my friend's kids birthday cakes as well as all other cakes that they need or want. every time i bake a cake at least 10-15 moms see my cakes and i always get one or two who want to buy a cake from me. I have told them that it's illegal to sell cakes, though this is partly the reason why i dont want to make them, and i also dont want to deal with strangers and people who i dont know in my house. what would be a nice way to say 'no cake for you!'

12 replies
bakencake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 13

I also take a sign language class and bring cakes to the birthday people. I just got an email from a girl who would like a cake from me. how should say go to walmart?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 13

Stop doing that "woman" thing and worrying about being "nice". Now I'm not saying snap their heads off or anything! icon_lol.gif but why does it have to be a "nice" way to to just say no? icon_confused.gif

When they ask you to make them a cake, just say simply, "Sorry, I'm not a business and can't sell cakes." Then stop talking. If/when they continue to push, just say simply, "Sorry, I'm not a business and can't sell cakes." Then stop talking.

I never tried to convince my kids of a "nice" way to say no to a schoolmate who might be trying to get them to do something illegal.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 13

I often find myself in the same situation. I just say something like, "Thanks for the compliment, but it's illegal for me to sell my home baked cakes."

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 13

I just started saying "Sure, but all my cakes have a $5,000 base price to cover the fine I will get when busted for illegal caking. Now, what can we do for you?"

bakencake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not a business and can't sell cakes.

short, simple and to the point. i was hopping i would get advice from you.
Thank you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 13

I wouldn't even worry to much about telling them it is illegal, because they will follow it up with, "but I won't tell anyone."

Any time a student (I'm a WMI) asks me if I sell cakes, I just tell them I'm a hobby baker that just does cakes for family and friends.

If these are strangers, then they might understand that. Or they may press the issue. Short, simple and direct is usually the best way to go about things.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 13

Same here, just tell them you only bake for family and friends..some come back with oh,, you could be making soo much money... honey, I am not in this for the money.. it's a hobby for me... icon_biggrin.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 13

I agree with everyone. Don't worry about explaining your reason why you don't sell.

I simply smile and say that I do it for a hobby. My family and extended family know this and when they are asked about my cakes at the kids' parties they say the same thing.

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 13

I like Kimmisue's suggestion!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 13

My MIL is an excellent seamstress. She made all of the window treatments in my home and hers. She has been asked by several friends if she would make their's but her answer is NO every time. She only sews for family and only on her schedule. Her quip is something to the extent of "You couldn't pay me enough to sew for anyone else." And this comes from a proper Southern Lady. I don't see why you couldn't do the same.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I wouldn't even worry to much about telling them it is illegal, because they will follow it up with, "but I won't tell anyone."

Any time a student (I'm a WMI) asks me if I sell cakes, I just tell them I'm a hobby baker that just does cakes for family and friends.

This gets a little sticky if the person asking is someone you see often, because then you're implying that they're NOT a friend. I point out it's illegal because there's no arguing with the fact.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 13

to the OP- your cakes are amazing! i can see why so many people ask if you will make their cakes.
if its not legal to sell your cakes - really that all you need to say.
i would consider it a compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%