Suggestions For Baking Sheets?

Baking By Spectra Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 3:00am by ButtacreamRose

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 21

So I need to buy some more baking sheets for the cookies, but wasn't sure what is best, or if it matters. This is what I'm trying to choose between:

- Non-stick surface with edges all around pan
- Aluminum pan with edges
- Aluminum pan with no edges.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

20 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 21

i have a dark aluminum pan with four sides. They're baker's secret. Ironically it's one of the pans i see that people say most ofton not to use, but they work great for me. I always line with parchment and I have never had a problem in the last 10 years (and used at least 4 different ovens in that timeframe)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 21

I experimented a few months ago using a large airbake sheet, a smaller non-stick airbake sheet, and a regular non-stick cookie sheet. The difference was negligible. The airbake sheets took longer to cool off and the cookies are them were a tad less brown.

Where there was a big difference was in handling them. Moving those sheets around with just the one lip on the airbake sheets was a pain and you really have to pay attention to make sure you don't stick an oven mitt in a cookie. The large airbake sheet also does not allow for much airflow around the sheet. I chill my cookies before baking (to help with spreading) and the large airbake will only fit on one specific shelf in my fridge. With a regular cookie sheet, I have a choice of 3 shelves that will work because I can tilt them in sideways. This really matters when you're trying to crank out cookies.

I just picked up 2 new Baker's Secret sheets Kroger yesterday. They're on sale for $4 each. That's a much better price than $10 on sale for an airbake one plus I can use cookie sheets for jelly roll style cakes.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:25am
post #4 of 21

Thank you! I think I'll stick to my Baker's Secret too. I have two already but wanted to get more. I have no problems with them, but wasn't sure about those other ones. Thank you!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 21

I lovelovelove the jelly roll type pans for cookies - the best price I've found is at Sam's Club, they come 2 to a pack for $10.77 - vs. other places that sell them for $30/1 pan! They are aluminum, heavy-duty, about a 1-inch wall/lip on all sides. They cook beautifully and evenly, and I never have to grease them, even when I don't use parchment! I think I have 12 of them, so big fan!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 21

i'm unhappy with the last couple cookie sheet pans i bought at the grocery store (can't remember brand, but pretty generic looking). they warp while baking! i went to remove the pan from the oven and one corner was up in the air.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 21

Why do I always forget about the warping? I just used a new sheet this week, and sure enough- a nice loud POP! as it warped. Ugh. Do the ones from Sam's club do that?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 21

what's funny is that i really like those airbake cookie pans for pizza, but not for cookies!

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 21

I have a Farberware cookie sheet. It is a goldtone color. I really like the way it bakes and it is the only one I use for cookies. I really need to get more cause one isn't enough.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Why do I always forget about the warping? I just used a new sheet this week, and sure enough- a nice loud POP! as it warped. Ugh. Do the ones from Sam's club do that?

No, mine have never warped, and I've had them for 7 years - they are a heavy guage aluminum, they hold up very well, and I love that they bake so evenly (unlike those nonstick/dark sheets that usually burn my cookies!)...I won't use anything else thumbs_up.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 21

I found some heavy duty baking sheets at Restaurant Supply stores. I even got lucky and they were on sale. The regular price was pretty good also.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #12 of 21

Williams-Sonoma... the absolute best. They make any baked good better. Tons of R & D in their designs.

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #13 of 21

Williams-Sonoma... the absolute best. They make any baked good better. Tons of R & D in their designs.

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #14 of 21

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #15 of 21

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:03am
post #16 of 21

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #17 of 21

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #18 of 21

i too like the sheet pans you can buy from Sams or Costco, and also the wilton cookie sheets thats sold at Michaels that only has the lip on one side, i like this pan for splitting my sheet cakes too as well as baking cookies. Its no longer in the wilton yearbook, but i think you can still get it at the store.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:49am
post #19 of 21

I use these and I absolutely love them. I have been using this brand for many years and will never use any other kind.

http://doughmakers.com/

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 2:00am
post #20 of 21

I use these and I absolutely love them. I have been using this brand for many years and will never use any other kind.

http://doughmakers.com/

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #21 of 21

thin4life....agree I absolutely love my doughmakers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%