Stenciling On Buttercream

Decorating By cfpeoples Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 7:01am by HamSquad

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be stenciling on buttercream for the first time. Any tips for this? I am afraid that since i can't used that "tape" they make for when you do fondant, it might slip, or i might accidently press little edge marks in the BC. Is is much harder than with fondant? Any expert advice here is more than welcome!! Also Black on white...so Yikes!

3 replies
sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:15am
post #2 of 4

I have never stenciled on fondant so can't compare to buttercream. I have stenciled black on white buttercream. First make sure to use a crusting buttercream. I allowed the buttercream to crust very well. Then, I said a prayer before I started. (it's a scary thing to do, I have to admit.)
If you do a round cake, have someone there to help you hold the stencils. My black and white wedding cake was square so I started at one corner and stenciled black buttercream as far as the stencil would allow me to. I did this from the corner of each side of the tier. I allowed the black to crust well. ( I think I waited over night). (Clean the stencil well after each section) With the black crusted (dried) I could match the stencil up to the pattern and finish stenciling to the end of the tier. Good luck HTH.

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 4

I am also interested in stenciling as well. I am about to order some stenciling sheets.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:01am
post #4 of 4

I've stenciled on 2 butter cream cakes so far. I have only stenciled on round cakes. Since I was stenciling on wedding cakes, like previously mentioned, I used a crusting butter cream frosting that were chilled before stenciling. I also used a small angled, pointed spatula to smooth on thin down butter cream frosting, then went back over again to take off the excess frosting. You can use a new plastic, clean 2" wide spackle knife to spread the thinned frosting over the stencil. To hold my stencil on the cake, I used a hole puncher on the ends of the stencil. I sterilized corsage pins to pin stencil to frozen cake. Ditto - clean stencil with each application as mentioned above. Feel free to look at my pictures, one is a red and cream color wedding cake, the other is royal blue and cream. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%