Argggghhh!!! Help!

Decorating By RUTHEY509 Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 1:53pm by RUTHEY509

RUTHEY509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUTHEY509 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:59am
post #1 of 4

HI everyone, would very much like some help! Im a total beginner at this and am currently making my wedding cake (EEEKKK!!) anyway I have made all my sugar roses to fall down the side of the cake......the burning question is.... HOW DO I ATTACH THEM????? they are on wires, do I simply jab them into the cake?? No tutorial for this one ha ha! thanks in advance. This is the look im trying to achieve!! Ive made fondant roses as my cake is fruit/fondant. and also I want to attach a round posy to the top tier, do i use a lump of fondant to put the flowers into?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Classic-Chocolate/dp/B00170PCYQ?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_5&nodeId=77005031&sr=1-5&qid=1296464225&pf_rd_r=06GFVKTPK4Z7M7CVBES0&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=77005031&pf_rd_p=215653147&pf_rd_s=related-items-6

3 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:36am
post #2 of 4

I don't like to place wires in cake in case there is any lead in them.

I use drinking straws and pipe royal icing in them sometimes. For the top I usually use a posy pick (available at craft/floral stores) with floral glue (inedible). The floral glue stays flexible, but dont use it in straws or anything that could leak through. You can do this in advance. I stick mine in a dummy cake and let dry.

You may also want to try cocktail straws, the thin ones, perhaps add some royal icing at the base of the rose as well. I usually don't do flowers on the sides like your picture. One other option is to clip the wires and just attach with royal icing. Hold for a few minutes, and let dry overnight before transporting. Gum glue is yet another option, that stuff will hold you to the ceiling. I'd try that first. Gum glue is 50/50 gum paste and water, microwave til hot, stir well...whala...instant super glue.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 10:02am
post #3 of 4

With regard to the cake topper - yes, you basically get a wad of fondant, place it on a cornfloured work surface and arrange your flowers into that. Then place it onto your cake (fondant wad and all) using a blob of RI to adhere.

HTH

RUTHEY509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUTHEY509 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for that! Youve saved my wedding cake ha ha x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%