Eyeshadow For Flower, Figurines That Aren't To Be Eaten

Decorating By soledad Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 1:16am by KathysCC

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:09am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!!!
I went to MICHAEL for non toxic chalks for my flowers and figures and could not find any in the art department. so I went to the craft section and saw some expensive pastel chalks, that looked like an eyeshadow case(with many colors) and got me thinking, about my unused eyeshadows case.Do you think , could I possibly use my unused eyeshadow colors to paint flowers and any other decoration that is NOT going to be eaten? I sure would like to know, what you think about this. I am hoping some one would give me some input on it. ( I do have lots of gel colors, WILTO, CK,AMERICOLORS, FRATELLO,SUGAR ART,SPECTRUM,CAKE CRAFT,COLOR ART, ECT I am sure I am missing some names) But I am just wondering icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanking you in advance, for you input! icon_smile.gif
CIAO

6 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:16am
post #2 of 7

I would not use eye shadow. Invest in some cake decorating petal dusts.
...I'm often amazed at the gumpaste decorations that people will actually eat. Yes they may be edible, but edible does not always mean palatable in my book! Sugar decorations that you yourself would take off the cake and not serve/eat may get eaten by others.

Would you eat your eyeshadow? If no, well then there's your answer!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 7

Most definitely not. You don't know what is in eyeshadow and you can't know for certain that people will not taste items that look edible on a cake. I've had people chomp down on gumpaste flowers just because they knew they could. Also, the dust could easily fall onto the edible surfaces of the cake.

With the wide variety of edible coloring for gumpaste flowers, I just would not take a chance with something that could have potentially harmful ingredients.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

I would not use eyeshadow. Children are quick to eat anything-candles too if your not quick to remove them after they blow them out. icon_surprised.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with everyone else!! For me I use crystal colors just in case someone decides to eat the flowers anyway.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your answers thumbs_up.gif So eyeshadows will go to church bazar, because I have no use for it, I do not wear any. icon_sad.gif
I do have some dust already(Wilton), but I was just looking for something cheaper icon_redface.gif I went to the store to look at chalks, and saw the crayola ones the 6 color shades for a $1.00 or the big, ones, 12 pastel colors for $3.00 at Walmart it says non toxic. can I use that? I am not working at the moment, so that is why I would like something more affordable icon_smile.gif and have more colors at hand. I would like to finally start making (practicing icon_smile.gif more likely!) some of the beautiful flowers that most of you make!!!!
Thank You!
CIAO

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #7 of 7

I was told that you can use non-toxic chalk for coloring gumpaste flowers. I have used it myself. You might want to get some more verification on that though.

I didn't like it because I couldn't get some of the darker shades I was looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%