Fillings

Decorating By willows Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm by zespri

willows Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone help me with filling technique suggestions? I use a wilton 18 star tip to dam my cakes and then put in the filling. I have noticed that when I cut the cakes that the filling is extremely thin. By the time the cakes settle there is barely any noticeable filling. I have had no issues with bulging or leaking filling but I would love to know how to achieve a thicker layer of filling without the bulging also. I want more frosting in my cake any suggestions?

4 replies
zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure how big a wilton 18 star tip is, but I just wanted to make sure you aren't doing tiered cakes or anything complicated, as a thick filling will make your layers slide off. And usually they will ooze out the side when you cut anyway.

Sorelle Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 5

Cover the top of cake with buttercream before laying the filling down it will keep it from seeping into cake. hth

All4Show Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 5

I've seen pictures of some of Warren Brown's cakes(Cake Love) and his filling is as thick as the cake layer. I think that's what you're talking about. I've seen some CC members say that this is what the were taught to do in culinary school. I would like to know how to achieve that too. If anyone has a clue for the clueless could you help us out.

zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 5

My strawberry cake had a super thick filling, and I managed to achieve stability by chopping up strawberries and adding it to the cream I was filling it with. I don't think just cream on it's own would have worked, the strawberries held it up.

This one:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1862735

I'm not jus talking about the strawberries around the edges, I mean in the middle, there were chopped up strawberries. Actually I will add some photos taken while I was putting it together, they will explain better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%