Late Notice Order For 30Th Birthday Cake.

Decorating By SamHarrison Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm by cabecakes

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 4

I've just had someone order a 30th birthday cake in the shape of the number 30. I'm quite confident in the making of the cake but I haven't had much in the way of ideas from the lady buying it. She sent me 2 pictures of cakes she liked but both were square cakes, one sheet and one tiered and nothing like she wants me to make.

I know it has to be pink and white. One of the pictures is a square tired cake with ribbons and bows but also some quilting on the sides. I thought I could use the quilting effect to show the influence from her suggestion pictures but can't think what else I can do with it!

I haven't done quilting before so it will be the first time (and it doesn't help that I only found out yesterday she wants to pick the cake up in the next 6 days!) I've only seen quilting on the sides of cakes, normally because there's some kind of topper on the top of the cake but this cake doesn't have a topper. I thought about quilting teh top and sides but thought this would be a bit too much and bit boring.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm back to work for a couple of days and haven't got the time to think about a rush design!!

Thanks!

3 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 4

I've done a #27 before - I printed out the size of numbers and used it as my guide.
I looked up number cake pans - then made the correct size in photoshop lol
For less crumbs make sure your cake is really cold while carving then before putting on the icing!

Maybe you could do pink and white zebra or cougar print.. when I think 30 - I think cougar, sheek, young again - make make a giant lipstick out of gumpaste as if it drew the number 30 ?

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 4

There was a really cute cake in the shape of someone's name in one the the old Cake Central magazines. I can't tell you right now which issue (if you even have it) because it's in my bedroom and my husband's asleep in there right now. I'll have to find it and send you the details. It was really cheery and colorful. I loved it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 4

What about just a regular quilted look square cake with the number 30 done in gumpaste painted with zebra print in client's requested colors, and maybe a miniature designer fondant purse and miniature fondant stilettos on either side of the 30. It is a fairly simple design. You can google couture purses for ideas. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%