Cupcake Pricing

Baking By Sweet_Kakes Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 12:32pm by scp1127

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #1 of 9

I am trying to price out my cupcakes and I know you need to include the cost of all your materials but how do you price 2 1/2 cups of flour or 1 cup of sugar? Or would you just price a whole 5 pound bag of flour and sugar?

Thank you icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:55am
post #2 of 9

figure out how many pounds of sugar in your bag. Divide that by 2 (did a quick search and found out that there are approximately 2 cups of sugar in a pound, actually it's more like 2 cups and 2 tbsp.)
ETA: forgot to add divide the cost of the sugar by the 2 and that will give you the per cup price of sugar and then multiply that by 2.5

Do that for all of your ingredients. here is a website that could help you with that:
http://www.joepastry.com/category/baking-basics/ingredient-weights/

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

Divide the 5 lbs into cups, divide price into cups, times 2.5. Eggs... price divided by 12 times amount in recipe. I do this in my head as I go down a recipe, but you could make a chart of basic ingredients and the current price by the unit. I do put the price on my recipe so I don't have to do it again. If prices change, do it again.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #4 of 9

Make a spreadsheet.

You need to break down your costs to the lowest unit of measure of that item and then multiply it by whatever your amount is. So you need to take what your 5lb bag of flour costs, divide that by 5 to find out what 1lb would cost you, and then I would divide it by 16 to get the cost per ounce. Then find on the internet what 1 cup of flour weighs (and AP and Cake flours weigh differently) and multiply that by your per ounce cost to get the cost of one cup of flour.

You need to do that for all of your ingredients. It's tedious and has to be done to accurately cost out your recipes, but you really only need to do it once for a master ingredient list. Most weight and measure equivalents can be found online if you google the right thing such as "what does 1 cup of flour weigh?"

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Divide the 5 lbs into cups, divide price into cups, times 2.5. Eggs... price divided by 12 times amount in recipe. I do this in my head as I go down a recipe, but you could make a chart of basic ingredients and the current price by the unit. I do put the price on my recipe so I don't have to do it again. If prices change, do it again.

Am I the only one that has noticed this but only a few companies sell the 5 lb bag of sugar???? icon_redface.gif Most of them are 4 lbs.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

Am I the only one that has noticed this but only a few companies sell the 5 lb bag of sugar???? icon_redface.gif Most of them are 4 lbs.

NO you are not the only one. And ice cream is no longer in a half gallon either. Geez I thought who the heck is eating all the ice cream? Same with paint. A gallon used to be 128 ounces. A gallon of paint used to paint an average room. Now I need to buy a "gallon" and a "quart" which is also no longer a true quart. DON'T get me started!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

NO you are not the only one. And ice cream is no longer in a half gallon either. Geez I thought who the heck is eating all the ice cream? Same with paint. A gallon used to be 128 ounces. A gallon of paint used to paint an average room. Now I need to buy a "gallon" and a "quart" which is also no longer a true quart. DON'T get me started!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

It's called MONEY!!! Make everything smaller so they can increase the profit and they won't hear the fall out if they raise the prices!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:02am
post #8 of 9

My matrix does all that math for you. There's no way I was going to do it over and over. It even tells you how much a teaspoon of extract is. You enter your info in and you are done. Ta-Da!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 9

It takes me about 5 second to price a new recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%