Cake Decorating Accessories

Business By savoriesnsweets Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 12:45pm by Theresa-Louise

savoriesnsweets Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 7


Has anyone here had experience selling other cake decorating accessories like custom made gumpaste flowers, royal icing flowers, or custom cake toppers (like hand modeled sugar figurines or monograms)? Do you sell these items as part of your bakery business or would this kind of thing work well on a forum like etsy? Also, do you need to follow the same kind of rules selling these items like you would if you had a home-based bakery?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #2 of 7

I have seen a few people sell RI flowers and gumpaste flowers on Ebay...don't know how well they do though...

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 7

Try Etsy.


savoriesnsweets Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:13am
post #4 of 7

thanks for the info! I'll def check out etsy and ebay. I am still curious if selling these kinds of things require you to follow the same health dept regulations as if you were selling cakes/cookies from a home kitchen. Anyone know? thanks!

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #5 of 7

Depends on your state, but I believe gumpaste is not considered a food product, it's a craft medium, especially when you add wires, stamens etc. You would not be subject to the same food and safety laws that you would be as a home/commercial baker.

savoriesnsweets Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:17am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

Theresa-Louise Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 7

I'm from the UK and I bought 100 large gumpaste daisies off Ebay last year to go on 100 cupcakes which I made for a friends wedding.This was before I had sugarpaste lessons. I was very pleased with them, and would say that there is defo a market out there for that sort of thing. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%