Purple Gumpaste

Decorating By Monta Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 6:40am by Evoir

Monta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monta Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 14

My purple gumpaste turns out like a periwinkle color. I've used Wilton's 'Violet Violet' and Americolor's 'Royal Purple' but both turn out the same color (periwinkle). I've tried adding a bit of red but that doesn't help. Any suggestions on how to get a royal purple color? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Monta

13 replies
brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

I use the americolor electric purple (see my purple and yellow bow cake on my pic page). You could try just adding more purple until you get the color you like.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 14

I think you just need to add more. Purple seems to be another one of those colors that just needs a lot, especailly for a deep color.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with heyjules, you need a lot of purple. There's a Halloween cake in my photos that is a deep royal purple. I used a lot of Wilton Violet and a very little bit of Royal Blue. I loved how the color came out and it didn't fade at all.

Monta Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for your help ladies. Your cakes look great but yours also look like periwinkle and not royal purple to me. icon_sad.gif I guess I'm looking for a different color. I did add a LOT of the violet & royal purple (it was only about 2 oz of gumpaste) but it just got to be a darker periwinkle. When I put it up to the color that's on the lids of the bottles it doesn't match at all. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll just have to go with what I have. Thanks again for your help. icon_smile.gif

Monta

Monta Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 14

By the way, I just went to Google images and put in 'periwinkle color' and it matches both of your cakes perfectly (I did a side by side comparison)! lol I also did a search on 'royal purple color' and it showed the color that I'm trying to achieve. I'm glad I did that cause I thought I was losing it! icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 14

You can try to add black to it, since it's kinda purple.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 14

You may want to try mixing red and blue to customize your purple.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 14

I like cherrycakes idea. It probably won't fade in the sun or under light as well.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 14

This is a cake I did and used red and blue to make the purple and as GGFan suggests, I have found it doesn't fade nearly as much.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1726180/1732458

Monta Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks to cherrycakes...that is more like the color I'm trying to get (a bit darker though). I will give that a try. I did try to add red to what I had but it didn't work. Maybe starting from scratch (with white) and adding the red and blue will work. icon_smile.gif

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 14

I always use the colour "purple/plum" from sugarflair. I think it's exactly the colour you are looking for. A dark, rich purple. I once tried to achieve this colour mixng red and blue, and it didn't work out at all.

Monta Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks! I will try the sugarflair! icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:40am
post #14 of 14

I also find if its a violet colour I want, to start with fuschia (americolor) then add in some regal purple. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%