Red Velvet Cupcakes?

Baking By Pickulz Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 11:24am by scp1127

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 6

I am making red velvet cupcakes for the first time tonite. I will be using the Cakeman Ravens recipe. Does anyone know how many cupcakes it yields?
Also, do the cupcakes sink in the middle or any problems I should be concerned about. And how much does it rise? Should I do the usual 2/3 full or higher?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

5 replies
asmith212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith212 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 6

But...when I tried it with cupcakes they were dry. icon_sad.gif
I wouldn't suggest filling them past 2/3 full, and the next time I make them I will be putting a filling inside.
I can't remember how many this made-I think 24.
Good luck!

ralary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ralary Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:37am
post #3 of 6

I never make a cupcake before,so I also wait for more answers

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:04am
post #4 of 6

My rule of thumb is if a recipe says it yields 2X 8" or 9" round layers, then you should get 24 cupcakes out of it. Most home recipes have been adapted to this standard because that's the most common cake pan size in the home kitchen.

I've read that Martha Stewart's recipe is better then Caveman's, the recipe is on her website.

Good luck!

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:06am
post #5 of 6

I've used cakeman ravens recipe but not for cupcakes for a cake my customers like it... I've done cupcakes with the dh red velvet mix wasc recipe and they came out great! actually I'm doing them for valentines again..
hth icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:24am
post #6 of 6

Cakeman's cake, with modifidations, is my favorite. I haven't done it in cupcakes, but I would use Reynold's or quality greaseproof liners. I slightly lower the oil in the cake, so the cupcakes may be too moist if the recipe is followed exactly. I would lower the oil by 1/4 cup. I always bake one cupcake, adjust... until I get it perfect... then bake the batch. I then note all of my changes and which oven I used on the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%