Arranging Fondant Flowers In Cascade

Decorating By Snowmum Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 1:44am by Snowmum

Snowmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowmum Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me how I can stick fondant flowers to a single layer cake in a cascading shape? I have made fondant roses before, and I've trimmed off the bottoms to a flat surface it's difficult to arrange on the side of the cake without the buttercream showing or without them falling off..

Am I supposed to use wire to stick them on? Is this the best option? How do i make them stick up face up so you cant see the bottom, especially on the side of the cake? icon_redface.gif

Help.. I'm a relatively new cake maker..

4 replies
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:53am
post #2 of 5

Place them on toothpicks. Make your cones and allow to dry. Then add your petals and dry. Once the flowers have dried you can place them anywhere you want. They'll stick into the cake pretty easily. Good luck!

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 5

I use the toothpicks too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have trouble getting fondant to stay on wires. Gumpaste will stay on wire a lot more easily.

To make a cascade without wires, I'd make roses in different sizes and let them dry. Then start at the bottom of the cake, pipe a blob of buttercream that matches the frosting on the cake. Stick the first few roses into the buttercream before it crusts. The roses should sit on their sides, with the bottoms touching the side of the cake. Pipe a little buttercream on top of the roses near the base, stick the next layer on, and so on. Using different sizes of roses, or some rosebuds, will give you small pieces to fill in any gaps.

Snowmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowmum Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

icon_smile.gif great thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%