Buttercream For Decorating

Baking By Aish90 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 12:18am by cakesbymindysue

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

Helloo,
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for buttercream which is good for making flowers. I have tried many recipes but it seems I can't get it to be stiff enough :s Or if I make it stiff...it is tooo stiff and difficult to squeeze the icing out. Also I need a recipe that does not require vegetable shortening and uses only butter, as shorting is difficult to find for me.

I would be grateful for any help.

Aish

5 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 6

I just use the same recipe as I do for frosting, but don't add as much water. Yes, it is hard to squeeze out, but that is what makes the roses stand up.
I don't measure so my recipe isn't exact.

2 cups Crisco
1 bag powd. sugar
vanilla
pinch of popcorn salt
meringue powder (helps the roses)
add water as needed

Aish90 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you...do you think I could use butter instead of crisco? I cant find it here

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 6

I am thinking that butter will make it too soft? Can you find any type of shortening? It says you are in WI? Do they not have shortening there?

Aish90 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 6

I am in England at the moment ans have not been able to find it here icon_sad.gif

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Do you have a Tesco, Sainsbury's, or ASDA near by? I believe you'd want to look for Trex or Flora White. If you use all butter the flowers won't hold their shape as well when it's warm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%